Chapter 7

Chapter 7

As we click clacked down the stairs, well I click clacked, Kara sounded more like a clunky stamped of wild boar trying not to humpty dumpy behind me, we were welcomed in by the toasty crackle of a fire Gram had undoubtedly made.

"You look super cozy and content, I'm jealous," I said to Gram as she was lounging in a luxurious tan leather recliner nose deep in a book.

"Well, well, well, don't you two look stunning," she replied looking up from her encyclopedia of a novel.

"Thank you, thank you," I answered with a grin and delicate curtsy as Kara was half leaning on the fireplace mantel attempting not to twist an ankle or worse, topple into the fire. This was going to be an interesting night.

"And Kara," Gram mused taking in my creation but pausing after observing her posture for all of 3 seconds. "Those shoes aren't made of thorns dear," she cracked. "You'll never make it through the night past one drink at this rate," bewilderment coating her face. In the midst of snickers and giggles, mostly from me and Gram the doorbell chimed.

"That's our ride," I announced grabbing Kara's arm to help walk her to the door. "Oh wait," I remembered as I left baby deer legs to fend for herself for a second. "Here Gram, you can kill the rest of the bottle," I said as I snatched the remaining jug of Amarula I brought down handing it to her.

"Thank you Avala," she replied holding her mug up to me. "I could use a topper."

"Yes, my lady," I said delighted to serve the most fabulous woman in the world. As I swiveled around to rescue Kara she had miraculously been able to stumble to the front door revealing Nicki and Derek. Pleasantries amiss Nicki came barreling in with Kara clinging to his arm.

"What the hell did you do with my girlfriend Lennings?" he demanded. Before I could even respond to the ridiculous protest he posed to the Grecian goddess I had fashioned he went on, "Because this doppelganger is a hottie! Woo-ey!" he exclaimed flipping her around to dip her in front of him plopping a big fat kiss on her terrified face.

Accompanying my amused shock Gram murmured from the corner, "my oh, my, and who said chivalry is dead," taking a sarcastic sip from her mug.

"Oh, uh," Nicki fumbled realizing that it wasn't just us kids in the room. "Sorry, uh, Gram. I mean, Blanche. I mean, Mrs. Lande!" he corrected himself three times.

"Please, Nox," Gram began with a wave of her hand already making Nicki's mouth flop open as I stood in the corner muffling laughter. "Call me whatever you like, just keep those hands to yourself," she teased.

"C'mon guys, lets go," I said to the group leading them the long way through the kitchen.

"Hold on, Avs," Nicki whispered coming up beside me. "Is your grandma drunk?"

"No! She isn't drunk," I rolled my eyes turning to really look at him for the first time noticing what he was actually wearing. "Oh, my God Nick," I choked. "What are you wearing?"

"Don't you even start with me missy," he replied pointing his finger in my smirking face. "This was your bright idea and I said I had no clothes!"

"Ugh, what is with you guys," I shook my head in laughter at his 90's boating outfit he had undeniably taken from his dads' closet.

"It's vintage," Derek interjected with a snicker. "What you're wearing is fine Nick," he patted him on shoulder trying to keep himself composed.

"Thank you, D," Nicki pompously replied. "Besides, we are practically wearing the same thing," he added prompting a "seriously?" facial expression from both myself and Derek.