Chapter 27

Chapter 27

"Ava! Wait up!" Kara called behind me as I stepped onto the sidewalk. "Where are you going?" she asked as she grabbed my shoulder and whirled me around.

"Anywhere but here," I replied shrugging her off.

"Don't you think you were a little harsh back there?" she asked but said it more like a statement.

"Maybe, but it's too late now," I answered continuing to stalk down the sidewalk. I know I was harsh and dramatic and immediately regretted treating my mom like that after she surprised me up here. But if I let this go now who knows what it will turn into. Tough love baby. Or just total bitch. But I was going for the latter.

"Well, what do you want to do now?" she said trying to keep up.

"Let's go to the beach," I answered, feeling a little pip in my step now having a vague destination.

"The beach," Kara repeated. "I thought we were going to have lunch? Aren't you hungry?" she tried to persuade me with my weakness. Food.

"We'll get something over there," I replied. Main street lined the beach we could eat anywhere at a safe distance from my richie drooling mother.

"But-but," Kara pouted, still reluctantly following me but then finally relented, "Fine."

And we were off to the salty shore, away from the mama drama and the smell of crab cakes fading into the distance.

The beach wasn't quite the beach I'm used to. It was a lake after all. Not like the endless coastal shore with foamy white waves but the lake beach was still nice. Kayakers, paddle boarders, and jet skiers flooded the oversized hill flanked pond.

"What are we going to do at the beach?" Kara whined as we trudged through the hot sand underneath the peak of the middays sun. "We don't even have bathing suits."

"I'm sure we can buy some from a shop if we really want," I replied unphased by my dress and her shorts. "We can always just put our legs in," I added as I started to take my shoes off to dip my toes into the cool lapping water.

"How are we even going to get home?" she went on asking me questions for some master plan after I had just walked out in a huff without a second thought.

"Would you just relax," I said splashing her with my foot. "We're on a spontaneous adventure. We have friends, we'll be fine."

"Okay," she smiled her sweet childish Kara smile and splashed me back, laughing like two little kids without a care in the world.

After we were half soaked, we sat our wet butts in the sand and watched the wake boarders eat it on the lagoon.

"That would be super sick to be on one of those boats out there," I mused as we watched one of them getting closer to shore.

"Sure, would be," she dreamed along with me. "Where are the richies when you need em', huh?" she giggled beside me dripping in the sun.

"Ugh, don't remind me," I retorted. The last thing I wanted to think about right now was them. That would just lead my mind down the rabbit hole to my mom and King Sr. Barf. "We don't need them," I smirked.

"You got a boat I don't know about?" she looked over at me raising her brows in a doubtful but hopeful prayer.

"No, but I'm sure we could figure something out," I thought aloud.

"Oh, do tell," she mocked leaning back on her arms in the earths natural exfoliate.

"See that boat coming in?" I said jerking my chin ahead. "We could make some friends and hop on."