Chapter 25

Chapter 25

"What are you doing here?" I exclaimed pulling myself away from the comforting cuddle of Everleigh Lennings, our hair tangling in a light dark yin yang.

"I was able to get away from work for a few days and thought I'd come up and surprise my girls," she smiled stroking my long dark hair.

"That's great," I replied. "What's up with the car in the driveway?" I probed. I had a hunch there was still another lingering surprise somewhere.

"Well, actually," my mother drew out with a long pause. "One of my clients sent a car for me to get out of the city for a few days as I gift," she confessed as she sat down on a lounge chair crossing her legs like the classy broad she is.

"A client, huh," Gram muttered in my ear making me grimace.

"Oh stop, you two," mom chastised us. "He's been a client of your fathers for years and wanted to do something nice," she played it off to us. But she wasn't fooling anyone. I'll be damned, my mother has a gentleman suitor.

"Whatever you say Everleigh," Gram placated her whilst pouring me a drink without me even asking. My knight in brightly colored floral.

"Not so fast," I said refusing to drop the subject. My mother has been widowed for over a year now and not once has she mentioned a man. I needed some details. Now. "Who is this guy?"

"He rents one of our commercial properties in midtown. Your father and I have known him for years," she replied nonchalantly.

"Uh, huh," I grunted giving Gram a side glance and sipping my drink.

"Come on," my mother began. "I'm here to spend time with my two favorite girls can we forgo the interrogation?"

I took a deep breath of restraint and conceded, "Fine." Mom would be here at least a few days; I'm sure other opportunities would come up to get more info.

"Excellent," she beamed. "Now, let's go get some brunch. I want to check out how they have built up the town around the lake," she suggested.

Great, going to the lions watering hole with my mom as soon as she gets here. What could be better. Gram just grabbed her mimosa and whispered in my ear, "chug." And we raced to finish our citrusy bubbly beverages.

"I swear, being around you two I feel like the grandmother," my mother shook her head playfully at our antics.

"This is Blanche's sorority summer house and you're just the house mom, Everleigh," Gram informed my mom of the hierarchy. "Now, would you be a dear and chauffer us sisters to brunch," she added slinging her arm around my shoulders leading me into the house. This was going to be fun. Day drinking with Gram while my mom was the designated driver. Screw the richie drama, this quality family time is what I came Upstate for.

My mom followed us into the house being a good sport but disapproving of our behavior. If she only knew, this was just the pregame to the rest of her stay.

"I wasn't kidding Everleigh, you are driving us in that fancy loaner car or whatever you want to call it," Gram smiled over our shoulders to my mom.

"Oh, I know Blanche," she immediately agreed. "House mom reporting for duty to chaperone and protect my crazy girls," she smiled.

My mom was usually pretty uptight and always put together. Even now, coming Upstate to visit her mother and daughter she's wearing a white blazer with a matching pencil skirt and heels. Her hair was perfectly brushed into loose full curls and she definitely just got her nails done before leaving. Being raised by her colorful mother failed to influence her to loosen up, who knows what kind of boring spinster she would have turned into if she hadn't met my dad and had me. I love my mom, she is the practical anchor of the family but I am also thankful for the dominant carefree traits of my dad and Gram that molded me.