Chapter 9

Chapter 9

After round three it was time for me to tap out. Feeling a bit more welcomed and comfortable here, I decided to take a lap.

"I can't have anymore of this," I whispered to an already hazy Kara. Man, if she had trouble walking before I don't want to see her when she tries to make her next move.

"Me either, I spilt half of the last one. On purpose," she giggled.

"Smart moves, girl. I'm going to take a lap," I said patting her on the shoulder.

"Want me to come with you?" she offered.

"No, it's okay. Stay here with Nicki." And off I went, no babysitters needed. I made my way back through the living room to go explore the deck games outside. Five more tables were set up outside covered in red cups, cans, and bottles. These kids certainly could drink, and non snooty drinks at that. Although, after about the 5 drinks I had already I was ready for a snack. You would think these richies would have floating trays of cucumber sandwiches or a buffet somewhere.

As I was stumbling around taking in the hollering of the games I saw two girls in white dresses laughing and smoking by the balcony railing. They both had icy blonde hair, shimmering tanned skin, and looked like they could be twins. There's no way there could be two sets of twins at this party though, I hoped. I decided to be social and strike up a conversation with them.

"Hey," I said approaching ice queens as they both instantaneously let out puffs of smoke. "Do you know what game they are playing over there?" I pointed toward the table full of people over my shoulder.

"That's The Table Is Lava," the shorter girl on my right said wearing a thin double chained necklace strung with diamonds. Dang, now that definitely cost a pretty penny.

"Huh, I've heard of The Floor Is Lava, not the table," I replied looking back at the table as they continued to inhale death smoke. C'mon Ava keep the convo going. "How, how do you play?"

This time the other girl answered me, at least I was getting both of their attention. But before she did, she smudged out her cancer stick and threw it over the railing, probably onto someone's head. "You can play in teams or individual," she began, allowing the other one to chime in, "but you need at least like 8 people or it's not fun."

"Right," the taller one piped in again. "So, the point of the game is to not let your cup be right side up on the table when it turns to lava. So, you have to flip your cup before it turns. Otherwise, you have to chug until it's not lava anymore," she simply concluded but I was still confused. Luckily, her fake twin chimed in again, hopefully to clarify a bit.

"You have to flip your cup over as many times as you can before it turns to lava, so you have to keep count. Then when the table is lava you chug or your safe and then the person with the highest flip cup count gets to distribute a shot to whoever they want at the table and/or bump someone out," she concluded. Okay, still confused and dizzy thinking about all the potential drinking.

"Do you want to play?" both girls asked me at the same time glowing in the moonlight sparkling with every move they made.

"Uh, sure. Uh, what lotion do you use?" I asked too curious to not know. "Your skin is insanely sparkly." I've had body shimmers before but nothing like that.

"Oh, it's Carat Cream," she replied delicately caressing her fingers down her glistening arms.

"I've never heard of that," I mused awestruck by her skin. "Where did you buy it?" I asked.

They both exchanged a look and then answered, "Uh, we can see if we can get you some later. It's definitely still floating around here somewhere."

That was an odd response, "What do you mean-" I began to question and then she asked me what my name was.