Chapter 7

Juniper's POV:

"Moody? As in Mad-Eye Moody?" Says Hannah.

"That's the only Moody I know of, and he certainly looks like the one I've read about..." I respond, my eyes darting from the new DADA teacher to Hannah.

"I don't believe it!" She exasperates. "It's really him- look at his eye! It's- ah, it's looking this way- why does it move like that?"

"That would explain his name..." says a third year girl sitting next to me.

"Definitely," I respond.

I shoot a quick glance at Cedric from the other end of the table. He's whispering with his friends, as is the majority of the school.

"Well," says Hannah. "I don't care what anyone says, I would gladly take a werewolf over being stared at by that thing in his face any day."

"At least now we can actually go to Defense Against the Dark Arts instead of having study hall."

Hannah nods, saying, "But doesn't his eye creep you out? I mean, I trust Dumbledore 100% but that doesn't make him any less creepy..."

"Good point."

Dumbledore continues, saying, "As I was saying, we are to have the honor of hosting a very exciting event that has not been held for over a century. It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year."

"You're JOKING!" Says one of Ron's brothers.

Everyone in the room started to laugh, a few people nudging the twin's shoulder.

"I am not joking, Mr. Weasley," says Dumbledore. He starts to ramble about a joke he heard this summer as I turn back to Hannah.

"I can't believe it!" She says. "Doesn't that mean that other students have to-"

Professor McGonagall loudly clears her throat, catching Dumbledore's attention.

"Er- but maybe this is not the time... No... where was I? Ah yes, the Triwizard Tournament...well, some of you will not know what this tournament involves, so I hope that those who do know will forgive me for giving a short explanation and allowed their attention to wander freely.

"The Triwizard Tournament..."

I turn back to Hannah since I know that we both already understand the concept of the Tournament. Hogwarts, Beaxbaton, and Durmstrang come together to compete in a friendly game made of three separate challenges. One student from each school is to compete in the tournament, the winner earning some sort of prize and the Triwizard Cup.

I read about it in the library last year and told Hannah, of course.

"...death tole mounted so high that the tournament was discontinued," said Dumbledore.

"Death tole?" I whisper. "I knew it ended a while ago but I never knew why..."

I look over at Hannah, who has gone a little pale at the mention of death. Hushed murmurs ran through the room, students looking a lot more worried than excited.

Dumbledore continues his speech, announcing that the students from Beaxbaton and Durmstrang will be arriving to Hogwarts tomorrow evening, causing students to look at each other again. Some sharing excited glances while others, mainly introverted first through fourth years, looked around with wide eyes and pale faces.

What really upset most of the students though, was finding out that only people who were at least 17 could enter. I heard the Weasley twins scoff and saw them stare at Dumbledore as if he just grew another head. They had been planning to enter as soon as Dumbledore announced that it would be taking place at Hogwarts this year.