Chapter 20

Juniper's POV:

I'm slightly confused.

"It's...parchment?" I say.

"Yes," replies Cedric.

There's most likely a deeper meaning to this than I'm seeing right now, because I doubt that Cedric would just show me paper then expect me to be overjoyed.

"Oh- I should probably explain," he says, fumbling with the many sheets as he pulls them out. "Have you ever journaled?"

"Journaled? No, but I've seen it all over Instagram," I say, now understanding the parchment.

"Insta..."

"Muggle thing."

"Ah, gotchya." He closes the trunk, using it to propel himself up. He walks to his desk, careful not to trip over his own feet, and gently plucks two blue quills from his pencil holder.  "Don't quote me on this, but I think Cho told me that she likes to journal if she has something on her mind. Like- if she's stressing over a test or something is happening back at home."

"The two of you have been getting a lot closer recently, haven't you?" I ask, taking one of the quills from him.

"Ah, yea, I guess we have," he says. He lets out a stiff laugh, "You know, I never would have guessed that 7th year would go this way."

"...Really? Can I ask what you mean?"

He nods, sitting back down on the floor in front of me and the trunk. "Well, I never thought that you and I would become friends- not because there was anything wrong with you, it's just we're in different years and had never spoken before that day on the train."

"That's understandable," I say. "I'd have to agree with you on that one."

He smiles. "Not only that, but I never thought I'd become friends with the Weasley twins or Cho. I always thought I'd be with David through it all."

Now that I think about it, the whole David situation must have stung Cedric pretty badly. Those two were really close until their falling out last month. Yeah, David's a jerk who doesn't deserve to breathe the same air as Cedric, but letting go of someone you've trusted for the past six years is easier said than done.

"Well," I say, "You have Spencer. I know you two have been good friends since first year too, right?"

He nods, looking down at the papers.

"And Cho, I know you two aren't close yet, but from what I've heard, she's a super sweet girl. And she's incredibly intelligent. Someone as smart is her will never fail to realize how amazing you are, Diggory. And George and Fred! Those two...can be a bit...mischievous, but from what I've heard from Hermione, Harry, and- well I don't know if I should say Ron, he's usually complaining about how they stuck a tiny firework in his homework or something. Anyways-" Cedric snorts "-those two may be pranksters but they are by far loyal and brave as all hell. I mean, they planned an entire prank per your request because they felt you were treated wrongly.

"You might not see it now, Diggory, but you are surrounded by people who think that you are absolutely incredible," I finish, taking Cedric's hand.

I can see a rosy tint across his nose. "I guess you're right."

"You guess?" I say, furrowing my brows. "I promise you, that I will keep telling you how great you are until you no longer 'guess'. I'll tell you how great you are until you know. I don't care if that means I'll be telling you until the minute before I die, because all I care about is you seeing the truth."

He looks up, his eyes not quite meeting mine. "I brought you up here to cheer you up, but somehow you've managed to tell me the things I've been waiting to hear my entire life...thank you."

"There's no need to thank me."

I give his hand a gentle squeeze before letting it go and taking a piece of parchment. "So are we just gonna write down our feelings or write down our feelings but in an aesthetically pleasing way?"

He laughs, "the way it looks is up to you, as long as you feel better once you're done, I don't think it really matters."

He stiffens for a moment, before clearing his throat and looking away. "I'll be right back, actually," he says. "Excuse me-"

"Oh- yeah, of course," I say, watching him get up and walking to the door. "Take your time."

"Thanks." He leaves without another word.

That was slightly...strange, was it not? Hm.

Cedric's POV:

"Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up."

No, Cedric.

I'm pacing in the stairwell. I'm going crazy, I know it. This...this is absurd. Insane. I need a healer or something. Someone to fix my brain.

You're not crazy, Cedric.

"You're making me crazy. You are driving me insane!" I say quietly.

I'm not.

"Then what was that? Right in there, you were saying that crazy bullshit about-"

Listen to me Cedric. Listen to yourself.

"No. No, I'm not gonna listen to whatever else you have to say. You're ruining my life. Merlin, look what you're doing to me! I'm talking to a fucking voice in my head while stressing in the stairs. You've changed my life, I used to be calm, and at peace all the time. Now I want to fucking rip my hair out every time you talk!"

Cedric I need you to just listen to my voice.

"Your voice? Listen to your voice?  Trust me, I have! I've listened! I've listened and heard and practically seen your voice with the amount of times you tell me to stay away from my friend! You're making me lose it! Why should I want to listen to you any more?"

Just listen, Cedric.

"No! You're gonna make me sound stupid or some shit. I don't trust you- YOU'VE MADE ME LOSE TRUST IN MYSELF.  I mean, look at me! I'm talking to myself! And somehow my brain has come up with ways to spontaneously respond at any given moment-"

You're not stupid. I keep having to tell myself that every time I try to warn you, but you're too stubborn to listen.

"What?! I-"

Give me a second to speak, Cedric.

"YOU'RE NOT REAL. YOU'RE JUST A FUCKING VOICE IN MY HEAD THAT SHOULD PUT ME IN A MENTAL HOSPITAL."

CEDRIC.

"WHAT?!"

Have you not realized that this isn't your voice? It's someone else's! Someone who you've never met before! You're killing me here, and I'm already bloody dead. Please do pluck your head out of your arse and listen to me for once, Cedric.

"What do you mean it isn't my-"

Holy shit.