第七話

"There is a threat from an unidentified crime syndicate to detonate a large bomb in an urban area and run a smear campaign against the detective agency." reported Kunikida while holding a clipboard in one hand.

The next morning, the Armed Detective Agency gathered inside the meeting room to discuss the job description sent by the Asure Messenger; with the exception of Dazai and Ranpo. Kunikida stood at the front conducting the meeting with a whiteboard behind, which displayed several printed pictures of the locations he'd gone to with his colleagues and some description written at the side of each photo. Atsushi sat on the right row between Yosano and Fumiko. On the other, Fukuzawa and Kenji sat on the opposite row, with Haruno standing behind the President. Each of them had a clipboard with a printed report of Kunikida's findings.

"I already know that the Agency's in a tough position." commented Yosano before looking back up at Kunikida. "Brief us on the bomb incident."

"This is the message that was left behind by the perpetrator." he began. "I'll read it.

"Dear all,

I hope your company is doing well. I don't mean to be rude, but I've placed a high-capacity bomb in a certain location within the city of Yokohama. Therefore, for the safety of those in this city, I ask that you locate and disarm the bomb as soon as possible. The deadline is sunset. Thank you very much.

Sincerely yours, the Azure Messenger."

"Who is this "Azure Messenger?" questioned the President, who kept his arms crossed.

"At the moment, we don't know." answered Kunikida.

"So if our Agency isn't able to disarm the bomb, the news of our failure will spread at once." noted Yosano. "The Agency can withstand spears and guns, but we're weak when it comes to this type of attack."

"Our office staff has been searching for possible locations, but there are too many choices." added Haruno.

"Here!" called Kenji with his hand raised. "Were you able to get in contact with Ranpo-san yet?"

"The Kyushu case seems to be coming to a close." she replied. "I've asked him to contact us once the criminal has been caught, but..."

Fumiko let out a soft hum before saying, "We have to consider the possibility that it'll take some time for the criminal to be caught. Even so, we need at least a lead."

"Any additional information from the driver?" questioned Fukuzawa.

"He says he knows nothing about the bomb." answered Kunikida. "He wouldn't have the nerve to blow up Yokohama."

"Listen, everyone!" commanded the President. "This case involves the cowardly use of information to attack the Armed Detective Agency. We have two objectives: Finding the attacker, the Azure Messenger, and disarming the bomb. The priority is the bomb because it has a time limit. If we don't find it and lives are lost, we will have no right to call ourselves a detective agency! Think of this as a fight to preserve the Armed Detective Agency's existence and pride." Without hesitation, his subordinates abruptly stood before proceeding to carry out their mission.

Meanwhile, Dazai was sitting across Sasaki inside Cafe Uzumaki with two teacups and a pot placed on the table between them, along with sugar and milk for them to add to their tea. "Are you sure about this?" she asked. "Things seem pretty serious at the Agency due to the bomb threat. Kunikida-sama seemed quite busy, too."

"Yeah, that's because Kunikida-kun is a workhorse." remarked Dazai. "You see, he spends two hours before bed reviewing and adding to his notes." But unbeknownst to him, his colleagues were occupying the seat behind him; including the man he was badmouthing about. He even failed to notice Sasaki's change of expression when she noticed them. "He probably has a farm of worker ants in his head-" He wasn't able to complete his sentence when Kunikida hit him in the head with a flick of his wrist, sending the brunette tumbling to the side. Atsushi and Fumiko, on the other hand, watched with deadpanned expressions. "Oh, you're here, Kunikida-kun."