第十二話

"My, my, Fumiko-chan~" swooned Dazai, cupping his cheeks with both hands as he fawned over the groggy woman. "You're so adorable when you're sleepy! You look like a little kitten that just woke up and needs some cuddling~"

This wasn't what the young detective had in mind. She'd spent half of her day off shopping and eating desserts with Elise, and then spent the rest of her time binge-watching AIBOU. Okay, perhaps it was a terrible idea to watch all fourteen seasons until wee hours in the morning when she had to go back to work a few hours later. But work would start at eight, so why not get up at seven and then take away her breakfast along the way so she could take her own sweet time? It wouldn't hurt to deviate from her usual routine, right? Unfortunately, that part of her plan went down the drain she was awoken by Dazai exuberating in enthusiasm at five in the morning.

In the end, the groggy woman stood in front of the stove watching two pieces of mackerel grilling on the pan. On the other hand, another stove was occupied by a small pot of miso soup gently brewing before the heat was soon turned off. At the corner of her kitchen counter was a rice pot with steam emitting from the tiny gap atop of the cooker, which then stopped as the rice had been cooked and was now kept warm. After flipping the mackerels, she lowered the fire before proceeding to scoop the rice into two rice bowls and then placed them on the dining table on opposite ends. From the fridge, she brought out two small containers filled with her favourite side dishes - hijiki seaweed salad prepared with edamame beans and carrots, and sliced pickled cucumbers with sprinkles of sesame seeds. With a pair of clean chopsticks, she served each side dish on two small plates arranged above the rice bowl. All that was left were the bowls of piping hot miso soup and the mackerels served on porcelain plates.

"Ah, mademoiselle~" swooned Dazai, occupying one of the seats where he sat down and took a whiff of the scrumptious breakfast laid before him. "To think I'd finally get to try your wholesome cooking that's been painstakingly prepared. I feel your love just from even smelling this aromatic fragrance!"

But just by looking at her sleepy expression and the subtle fidgeting, one could tell that Fumiko was trying not to be rude to her colleague. Had she'd been more like herself, even she would be surprised at herself for behaving this way. Maybe it was the sleepiness that's making her feel irritated. After all, she did only have four hours of sleep; or probably less than that since she went to get ready for bed at one in the morning. She was struggling to fight through her sleepiness, for she did not want to snap at the unexpected visitor when she asked what he was doing all of a sudden in her apartment.

She was silent, although that lasted momentarily as her resolve finally crumbled when she heaved a sigh. "Is there anything I can help you with?" was the first thing she said.

"Why, mademoiselle.~" he began dramatically after swallowing the piece of fish he'd chewed not long. "There's nothing in particular. I just want to see you on this fine morning. Is it wrong for me to desire to see such an appealing Signora who diligently prepared a hearty breakfast made from love?"

'Appealing, huh?' she remarked to herself while chewing her food. 'If only I don't look like I just got punched in the eyes. I'm pretty sure my face is all puffy thanks to the instant noodles and potato chips I had for dinner last night.'

"And you look so cute in your fluffy Pompompurin pajamas~" he added, with two round pink blush making themselves apparent on his cheeks. "I just want to hold you in my arms and squeeze you so tightly~ In fact, you should wear this to work every day! I'm pretty sure the President wouldn't mind." But the young lass merely ate while paying no heed to his fawning despite the imaginary hearts dancing around him like fairies.

Breakfast was finally over. With Dazai voluntarily washing the dishes, Fumiko went back inside her room to shower and change into her working clothes. When both were done, they still had about an hour before work started. That was when they decided to drop by at the nearest DOUTOR Coffee to have some coffee.