第二十二話

"Hey, stop flirting with the girl and at least tell me where we're going!" snapped the orange-haired boy, whose features radiated with reluctance and annoyance.

Things just couldn't get any worse, thought Chuuya. Not only was he forcefully involved with the Mafia's investigation, but he also had to endure the mafioso's constant flirting. From the time they departed the base, Dazai initially bombarding the young detective with questions, such as what she does at the Agency, what her interests were, her favourite things, and so on. That was all fine, until the flirty lines started coming in. Whether she was a guardian angel who descended from heaven to bring him there, or that they were destined to meet and kindle their passion in a double suicide, or how their thrilling adolescent love was at risk all thanks to an unwanted third party; the teenager heard it all. Although, he had to admit that Fumiko had the patience of a saint. She merely responded with a shy, polite smile, or sometimes a courteous "thank you" should the mafioso shower her with compliments.

"Sorry, but can you not talk to me?" retorted Dazai, hopping along the brick fence pillars while the other two took the staircase. "As you can see, I'm busy talking to this beautiful mademoiselle."

"I'll tell your head off, you suicidal freak!" snarled Chuuya. "I said tell me where we're going!" As he got close to the brunette, he raised his left leg and swung across, attempting to deliver a kick. Unfortunately for him, Dazai effortlessly dodged the attack by leaping higher, moving onto the next pillar.

Before things could get any more serious, Fumiko intervened, "We're starting our investigation by going to talk to a person who saw the explosion from up close."

The orange-haired boy stood back up and turned around to face her. "What explosion?" he asked, with a gentler tone compared to when he conversed with the mafioso.

"One week ago, the same kind of explosion we saw occurred close to where we were." explained the latter. "The previous Boss wasn't spotted then, but the cause was probably similar to what we're investigating. So we're going to talk to a survivor of that blast."

"A survivor?" repeated Chuuya. "You mean people died?"

"Yeah." confirmed the mafioso. "Some members of the Port Mafia you hate so much."

"Based on what we found, the one who survived is an ability user." added Fumiko. "It's most likely someone Dazai-san knows. I think you might've met him back at the Mafia base."

At that instance, a loud explosion erupted. The group of teenagers snapped their heads in the direction. There they saw the large building caught in flames and thick shrouds of smog emanating from it. It wouldn't take long for them to realise that was the source of the explosion.

"Yikes." was Dazai's dull response.

"It seems that the culprit got ahead of us." commented Fumiko nonchalantly.

"No time for guessing!" retorted Chuuya who dashed off. With Dazai heaving an annoyed sigh, he and Fumiko trailed behind.

The trio soon got close to the building, which a large portion had been damaged and burnt. And judging by how quiet and empty the place was, there seemed to be no one but them around. "I don't think we'll get to talk to anyone here." noted Chuuya.

Just then, they heard the sound of a gun cocking, followed by the command, "Turn around with your hands up." The three calmly looked behind, seeing a soldier aiming an MP5 at them.

"Hey, look!" mocked the orange-haired boy. "It's a sitting duck. I actually couldn't be bothered going around questioning people. It'd be much simpler to beat up the culprit who came to silence someone and make him spill the beans! The two of you get back. I'll kick his ass."