Osamu Dazai's Entrance Exam - Eleven -

To others, it would seem as if we were in those spy movies. As Kunikida raced through the mountainous roads to exit to the main road, Dazai was on the passenger seat setting up a portable GPS tracking programme, one that would lead us to the enemy's base. By and by, the tracker had pinpointed a relatively nearby location. Kunikida then sent a request to the Agency to gather intelligence on the area for us. Should it be the enemy's base, then we couldn't ignore the possibility of it being guarded.

But before we could hear back from the Agency, there was a message from the airplane. It was a video call from some device a passenger had found on board the plane by chance. We forwarded the call onto our own device. The screen showed a young passenger filming from her seat, seemingly to be no more than ten-years-old.

"I'm..." she began, her voice quivering as tears streamed down her face. "I'm a p-passenger on this plane. This is M-Mummy's phone, but Mummy doesn't feel very good... so it's m-me instead. The airplane is f-falling, and a ton of people are s-screaming, and crying, and... The captain t-told us to stray in our seats... but no one's l-listening, and some people are f-fighting..."

"Shit!" Kunikida swore underneath his breath.

I leaned forward to get closer to our device. "Let me speak to her." I whispered to the two. As soon as I got the confirmation nod, I turned back to the girl and spoke in a slightly high-pitch, "Hello, miss! Can you hear me? We're a team of airplane experts. I know it must be very hard for you, but could you tell me what is happening on the airplane now?"

The girl, albeit terrified, bravely described, "It-it keeps d-dropping. T-They said the engine's not w-working and they c-can't steer it." Fear was emanating from her expression, but her instinct must've told her that this was critical for her survival, as she spoke as if her life depended on it.

"Can I ask you something?" she asked hesitantly. "A-Are we all going to d-die...? I'm r-really scared. M-Mummy's not moving, and she's not responding to me either. S-So, please- please, do something. Please save us..."

"It's going to be okay." I pacified. "You'll be alright. We'll make the airplane work again. Could you tell me your name, miss?"

"Ch...Chiyo."

"It's nice to meet you, Chiyo. That's a lovely name! Do you have any snacks with you?"

"Just a candy... Mummy gave it to me."

"A candy, I see. I like candy, too. I always feel better after I eat one. Chiyo, go ahead and eat that candy slowly. And while you do that, please take this device to the pilot's cockpit. Do you know where that is?" To which, she nodded while wiping her tears. "Good. There won't be anyone shouting in there, so you'll be okay. Then your mummy will be okay, too."

"I... can't go by myself. Mummy's right here."

"Your mummy will be fine. The pilot will know what to do. So please go find them and give them this device, alright?" The girl hung her head, trembling, for a moment before rising, with the sole candy in her hand, and finally began setting off towards the cockpit.

Then, the video showed a man who seemed to be in his early forties, one that bore the look of an accomplished pilot. He began speaking, "This is the pilot for passenger aircraft 8185S speaking. Our engine has stopped, and we are currently coasting on our inertia. May I ask who you are?"

"We are the Armed Detective Agency." I replied, immediately changing my tone to that of assertive. "The police can't make it in time, so we are handling your situation. Please tell us what's happening."

"The Armed Detective Agency?" The pilot repeated, looking dubious. "The people who let those kidnapping victims die from poison gas? Oh goodness, will we be alright? By any chance-"