第三十七話

The elevator dinged just as it came to a stop. Its metal doors opened wide, letting the girl step out to enter the office. She knocked on the door three times, soon hearing Ranpo's cheery voice saying, "Come in!" How was he so energetic on a Monday morning? It must've been all those sugary treats he devoured daily.

Nevertheless, she gripped the silver doorknob, twisted it, and gingerly swung open the door. "Excuse me," she said, announcing her arrival.

The company was starting to gain some funds, she thought. She was used to the initially empty office; the President's desk with only a telephone on it placed at the far end, and Ranpo's desk - as chaotic as before - diagonally on the left side. Now, there was an extra desk and swivel chair on the other side. There was also a newly assembled wooden cabinet with glass doors behind the new desk, along with a low wooden cabinet and a steel cabinet. Large planter boxes were arranged horizontally in the centre, one on each side to leave some space in the middle for room to walk. On her left was a lounge surrounded by colourful screen dividers with wooden frames.

"Ah, Fumiko-chan!" he chirped from his desk. "Welcome back! You came at the right time." It's been a week since she last saw him, and yet, there was no sign of the vast amounts of workload on his desk decreasing. She couldn't help but wonder how he was able to still be this nonchalant and enjoying sweets.

"Good morning, Ranpo-san!" she greeted back. "Good morning, Fukuzawa-san!" With her hair down, Fumiko donned a knee-length, belted patchwork jumper with short sleeves; the left side of her dress was white with thin black vertical lines, while the left side and the collar were hydrangea blue with white stripes. The waist tie and the two front pockets matched the patterns on their respective sides, and the buttons along the fastened placket were black. Her outfit was completed with a boater hat, white canvas flats, and a woven shoulder bag.

Fukuzawa, who'd been sitting at his desk with a cup of hot green tea, put down the newspaper he was reading. "Good work, Fumiko-kun," he praised. "Our clients have expressed satisfaction with your help in solving their problems. In addition, in a matter of a few weeks, you have proven yourself to be a capable detective worthy to be part of our agency. Henceforth, I would like to invite you to join the Armed Detective Agency as a full-time member."

Fumiko's eyes widened, her mouth was agape and her heart leapt into her throat. Did she hear that right? She's going to be a member of the Armed Detective Agency! "Really?" was all she could utter, for there were no words that could describe how excited she was.

"Congrats, Fumiko-chan!" cheered Ranpo, raising his hands high; one of them holding a bag of Calbee's "Pizza Potato" chips. "Isn't it great that this old man is already thinking of letting you join us when you're almost done with your entrance examination?"

Her expression immediately morphed into one of confusion. "Entrance examination? I didn't know that there's one."

"Well, it's not really an examination, but the President doesn't recruit for fun. Since it is the Armed Detective Agency, there are many things that a detective must possess that make them worthy to join. But don't worry, you've been proven to be a good fit for our agency."

"That sounds interesting! I know that Fukuzawa-san has given me an offer, but may I know what is the final test for my admission? Also, now that I recall, you mentioned something about the right time. Is it related to that?"

"In a way. I think the President will explain it better."

Folding the newspaper, Fukuzawa began, "As Ranpo said, your final test involves not a case, but a search for an important person." He placed the newspaper aside and then reached one of the drawers, which he pulled out to hand her a paper file. Fumiko retrieved the file and opened it. The first thing that caught her attention was a portrait of a young girl, most likely around Ranpo's age. She had a straight, dark bob reaching past her chin and had bangs, and fiery magenta eyes. "Her name is Yosano Akiko. She was part of the medical team that oversaw the treatment of the troops stationed on Tokoyami Island during the Great War. The last we know of her whereabouts was three years ago when the war ended. Thus, this mission will test your capability in intel-gathering, as well as your investigation and identification skills."