第二十九話

A/N: I sincerely apologise for the delay. I started my master's programme so the busy schedule has kicked in. Just a heads up in case you find some incongruencies in the writing style. (シ_ _ )シ

12 HOURS UNTIL THE VIRUS ACTIVATES

Footsteps echoed through the empty hallway of the dilapidated Western-architectured building surrounded by thick shrouds of trees. The man clasped both hands behind his back as he continued walking. It was as though he was with nought an aim, but his mind was occupied.

It hadn't been long since he returned from the war and opened his underground clinic. At that time, Port Mafia was in a precarious position with their boss's deteriorating, bloodthirsty mental state. Should he leave that old man to do whatever he pleased, the Tripartite Framework his mentor had been working on would be futile, and it wouldn't be long before the city was overthrown by chaos and destruction. He wasn't willing to let that happen. So what better way than to become the Boss of Port Mafia himself? Even if he had to dirty his hands to get rid of that hindrance once and for all. But that'll have to wait, for his mentor had assigned more important matters to him.

"You called for me, Natsumi-sensei?" The man dressed in his long white coat entered his mentor's study room, after being guided by one of the servants in the house.

"Yes," the said man responded before gesturing to the chair across the oak desk. "Please, have a seat." As soon as the doctor did so, the older man began, "I am aware of your medical background given that you served as the head military physician during the Great War, as well as the clinic that you're currently operating. Thence, I would like to offer you a task. A critical task, as a matter of fact, which has been deemed onerous for some time. But nonetheless, I would be very much indebted to you should you succeed."

The doctor raised his brows, his interest piqued. "Is this task so difficult that you resorted to seeking my assistance, sensei?"

He'd always known his mentor as a highly charismatic man; calm, collected, and possessed insights like no one else he knew. So it was quite a rare sight to see him slumping ever so subtly, as if he'd been searching for something for such a long time which had been leading him to dead ends.

"It is with respect to my granddaughter," Natsume revealed.

His granddaughter? He didn't know Natsume-sensei had one, let alone any children!

"She is adopted, if I were to summarise the story," The older man clarified, seeming to know what his mentee was thinking. "I sensed a considerable amount of power from her when I found her wandering around the slums. Yet, I believe that her great power comes with a cost, that is her frail health. Doctors have been coming and going, but all lead to zilch results, as they claimed that they couldn't do much for a young girl with a weak immune system. But I don't intend to relinquish, for I believe she deserves a life beyond the confinements of this building. So I ask if you could possibly alleviate her sickness, even just enough for her to finally be able to walk outside without wheezing from the air of spring."

Well, this is quite a surprise. He honestly didn't think his mentor had adopted a little homeless girl and did everything he could to bring some comfort to her life like she was his own kin. To the extent that he resorted to seeking his help. Not that he minded, anyway.

"I understand," The doctor finally responded. "I'll see what I can do after a consultation with her."

"Excellent." It wasn't long before both men heard a light knock on the wooden door. Natsume seemed to have expected this person, for his stern gaze softened as he tenderly called, "Come in, my dear. You came just in time."