第十六話

Fumiko blinked owlishly a few times, keeping her gaze fixated on the brown file in her colleague's hand. "So... you won this from the Guild?" she asked dubiously.

It's not that she didn't trust Ranpo. He might not have an ability or any outstanding physical prowess. Rather, his exceptional intelligence made up for that. But to meet him at the doorway to the Agency and hearing him enthusiastically telling her that he "won" a file containing details of the Guild's weaknesses; she felt like this was too good to be true.

With his cheeks stuffed with a half-eaten donut she bought earlier along with other snacks in the paper bag, the senior detective donned a pout. "You don't sound convinced, Fumi-chan." he whined. "Do you not believe me?"

The said woman responded with a sheepish closed-eye smile. "Of course not." she assured. "I just find it hard to believe that an enemy is willing to throw down the gauntlet to you and use the Guild's weakness as the prize."

"Well, that actually happened." he shrugged. "At least it helped to relieve some boredom for me."

"I see." she said before relief emanated from her features "Anyway, I'm glad nothing bad happened to you or Akiko."

Ranpo lips stretched into a grin as he reached out to rub the top of her head. "Don't worry." he assured. "As long as I have my Super Deduction ability, everything will be alright. Now, then. Shall we bring these to Dazai?"

"Yes, please." she agreed, opening the door for them to enter.

"By the way, we haven't been able to go out as I promised you that day." he reminded with a pout.

"That's because we've been caught up with everything that has happened." she said with a sheepish smile. "We can always plan our day after all this."

Her colleague's lips immediately flipped into a grin. "You're right~" he responded in a sing-song voice.

"Ah, Ranpo-kun, Fumiko-chan!" called a familiar voice. "Just the two people I want to see."

"Why hello to you, too, Dazai-kun." greeted the latter in a similar tone.

"Did you bring the file, Ranpo-kun?" he asked.

The said man merely raised the brown paper file up to show him before taking another bite of the donut. "It's all here." was his reply.

"Good." he said with a cheery smile. "Let's go to the meeting room to see what's in there."

As the trio made their way to the said place, Atsushi barged into the office with a flip phone in his hand. "I heard Ranpo-san found the information to take down the Guild." he said with surprise, although there was a hint of doubt lacing his voice. "Is that true?"

"They're working on a plan now." explained Tanizaki while working on his laptop.

The silver-haired man then approached the meeting room and peered from the doorway. The wooden table was filled with documents containing details regarding the Guild's air fortress, the Moby Dick. Every diagram had detailed explanations printed at the side, as well as the labeled diagram of Moby Dick's mechanism and so forth. While Dazai read some of the articles, and Ranpo sat at the end munching away his snacks, Fumiko filtered the necessary ones which were then pinned to the corkboard side of the whiteboard. Once she returned, she opened her notebook and began scribbling away with her pink mechanical pencil.

"That's some great information." commented Dazai with amazement. "It's valuable intel."

"Well, we need to hand it to Ranpo-kun for getting these from them." praised the young lass who sat the middle seat across the two.