f o u r t e e n

december 8, 2018

"sunoo-ah, jungwon is here." sunoo's older sister, eunjae, barges in his room.

a frown comes to her face - almost a spitting image of sunoo's except that she got her father's eyes - when she is welcomed by an empty room.

"sunoo?"

"noona, i don't think i can do this." sunoo comes out of the restroom, wearing the outfit they had specifically bought for the occasion. he fumbles with the suspenders he has on, looking nervous and white as a sheet.

eunjae sighs, walking over to her little brother. sunoo remains in his position, his gaze downward. "do you want to go?"

sunoo nods then shakes his head, plopping down the foot of his bed. "i just... i'm scared things will don't go the way i want to."

"hey, where's the positivity?" eunjae exclaims, pretending to knock on sunoo's forehead. in turn, sunoo laughs a little but doesn't say anything. it's hard to be positive in this situation right now.

"is this guy taken?"

"no."

"well, isn't he into boys?"

"he is."

"then, what has gotten you this uncertain?" eunjae crosses her arms as she takes a seat by sunoo.

sunoo ponders the question with a hum. a displeased frown forms from his lips upon remembering his and sunghoon's conversation about two weeks ago.

when he asked sunghoon why he always came to the library, sunoo realized he shouldn't have done so. his wishful thinking that there's a chance sunghoon can like him is stained with doubt when sunghoon told him he was there to help a guy study.

a very important guy, he might add. sunoo can't really brush away the look on sunghoon's face when he mentioned whoever that is.

"noona, he might like someone already," sunoo shares, disheartened.

"oh. i don't know what to do with that."

"noona, that's not helping at all," sunoo grumbles and whines, falling back down his mattress with an 'oof'.

why does this feel like he's playing a losing game?

"well, sunoo, you can't be sure about that. he hasn't explicitly mentioned that he likes someone else, has he?"

"no..."

"then go. take a chance," eunjae advises, nudging her brother affectionately.

"what's taking so long?" jungwon swings open the door. his face is twisted to an impatient frown as he leans against it.

"i just finished getting ready, jungwonie." sunoo rises from the bed and shares a quick glance with eunjae. eunjae gives him an assuring wink in response.

jungwon raises a curious eyebrow. "do you have the mistletoe we bought?"

"are we really pushing this?"

jungwon tilts his head in a mix of confusion and disbelief. "what? the plan on getting you a boyfriend? of course."

sunoo grimaces at the word boyfriend. of course, he likes sunghoon but the thought of him as his partner seems blurry at some point. a fantasy.

"let's go. quit imagining sunghoon because by the end of this day, there's no need to imagine anymore."

throughout the whole ride, sunoo keeps glancing at his shoulder bag where the delicate plant is safely squeezed in. this is jungwon's idea and at the time they were talking about it, sunoo is eager and willing. now... he's not sure.