e i g h t e e n

may 7, 2020

when sunoo was just a little kid, he got himself an injury while he was pretend fighting with his sister using twigs they found under an old tree.

they were too invested in the game that eunjae accidentally swung the twig too hard and too close it hit sunoo on the cheek.

sunoo remembers that the cut stung and that he cried for hours about the wound until eunjae used candy, which he could never refuse, as a token of apology.

sunoo now would have brushed it off as a minor thing but you know kids. they are one of the most dramatic creatures in the world next to his mom at the sight of anything remotely out of place.

the cut eventually healed but it left a little scar on his cheekbone and even now, it's there, permanently marked in his features. sunoo is glad it did not mar his charms. if you ask him, it kind of makes him look better.

it seems far-fetched but the memory of it reminds sunoo of his and heeseung's relationship right now. the two of them had fallen back into their routine so easily but it does not feel the same at all.

it is a bit pitiful how they try so hard to act like nothing's changed despite the obvious fact that it did. everything's changed. it is evident in the emotions heeseung's eyes carry, in the way they soften to a fond expression whenever they meet sunoo's. it reeks from the warmth filling sunoo whenever heeseung does literally anything. it looms in the awkward air between them whenever they lapse into silence and one of them has to fill it with even the most nonsensical things. being silent makes this thing - whatever this is (or was?) - appear less vague and more profound and the both of them do not want to acknowledge it. this change dangles right in front of their faces yet the two of them desperately tries to turn a blind eye to it.

on the bright side, sunoo is glad he gets to talk with heeseung again. making conversation with him is as easy as pie and sunoo notes that he likes it when heeseung gets immersed with talk of going to the city to study that it softens the blow of the ugly truth that is his leaving. well, maybe not. if he is being honest, seeing heeseung so happy talking about anything related to college is adding salt to the wound. sunoo just wants to momentarily forget heeseung would be leaving but it's hard not to when said boy can't stop talking about it.

"lotte world sounds like the happiest place in the world, doesn't it?" says heeseung through a mouthful of tteokbokki. the older complained he was hungry the whole time they were inside the arcade so the first thing he did after their time there is to eat. sunoo is not complaining though, he is a lover of food himself.

sunoo hums. "i thought disneyland is, hyung."

"i've never been there so i cannot say." heeseung crumples the container and throws it in the bin they come across. it stimulates a little smile from sunoo.

"and you've been to lotte world?"

heeseung hums no, occupied with his eating to even bother saying a word. sunoo does not see but he knows he is smiling that teasing smile of his.

"you are one confusing person," sunoo quips, his own smile growing to a grin when heeseung snickers, falling into step beside him.

"i would be able to go there first than disneyland so i guess technically, it will be the most memorable. first time going to an amusement park and first times tend to be the most special ones. disneyland cannot compare."

"hey, now you're not giving disneyland a chance, hyung. firsts aren't always great. they are just beginnings of multitudes of experiences."

heeseung throws him a fond grin, the act automatically spurring the same from sunoo. "you're right. i guess it depends on the experience."