s e v e n t e e n

april 21, 2020

sunoo only realizes his shoelaces are untied when he almost trips over them as he nears the street the old basketball court is in. since it would slow him down, sunoo ignores them and continues on.

he hefts his bag over his shoulder and keeps his steps brisk and purposed. by the pace he is going, he'll reach the basketball court in no more than 3 minutes.

the shabby and tainted with age basketball ring with its paint barely clinging and already rusting notifies sunoo of his arrival. his pace falters for a hurried second once he spots a familiar figure shooting hoops all by himself. heeseung seems to be in his element, lips pursed in intense concentration as he runs with the ball in his hands.

heeseung is so engrossed with his maneuvers it is doubtful he would even notice sunoo is there.

he does notice sunoo. when has he not?

sunoo really should be accustomed by now to the moments where heeseung's eyes come in contact with his but after not being with him in a painfully long period, everything feels brand new yet intimate to him.

nevermind that. sunoo can spend all the time in the world with heeseung and his heart rate would still go haywire whenever those doe eyes of his stare back at him. what's with him and his doe eyes?

to relieve the tension and awkward air, a wave of his hand is the best thing sunoo can come up with as he gets closer until finally, they're within each other's presence. he has to remind himself to get a grip when his mind almost goes completely blank. that is easier said than done when heeseung is just standing there within distance. for the first time since he visited the lee's, him and heeseung are in the same space.

heeseung never does remove his gaze away from sunoo's as if he is afraid the younger boy will disappear. the ball in his hands suddenly loses its purpose, to distract him, and he abandons it.

thump. thump. thump.

sunoo is not sure if it's the ball bouncing on the floor uselessly or his heart beating so hard against his ears.

he parts his lips, millions of words ready to come out but not quite sure which ones will go first.

damn it. he should have rehearsed whatever it is he is going to say but to be honest, forming any coherent thought is impossible. sunoo is surprised at himself for even making it this far without chickening out.

sorry. he wants to say sorry first. after he practically detached himself from heeseung, a proper apology needs to be said first. it's the least sunoo can do.

i miss you. he wants to tell heeseung he misses those harmless teasings and cheesy yet helpful life advices. the clumsy antics and wide eyed reactions to absolutely anything. or maybe, it's just him he misses. just him.

yet words are easier said in the comfort of his mind, especially words he really means.

"hi."

at least he followed the basics in starting conversation.

"did you run all the way here?" heeseung arches an eyebrow. the gesture is too casual, too distant.

sunoo swallows the non-existent lump that had formed in his throat. "brisk walking. it's good exercise."

"or you could play ball with me."

sunoo immediately shakes his head no. him and basketball do not really go well together. everytime he plays, seldomly, he almost always ends up being friends with the floor. his poor face.