||Chapter Twenty Six||

||Daryl's POV||

My shirt was covered in dirt, blood, and mostly sweat by the end of the burial. Night was falling as I put the shovel back where it was before I used it. I took one last look at the grave before heading inside.

I then heard shattering glass, the clatter of wood, and screams of anger coming from Avery. I walked in to find her throwing glasses on the floor along with kicking chairs and stools over. Garbage littered the floor making every step you take have to break something. Avery was in the process of throwing books and stomping on them before I started yelling,"Hey! Quit it!"

It seemed like I wasn't even there because she kept throwing things. When I started to charge at her, that's when she took notice of me. She looked up at me with a mixture of fear and anger. I couldn't get a good look because she closed her eyes and started to blindly throw the books at me.

When I got closer, I grabbed her wrists as she tried to fight me. Tears streamed down her face as small whimpers escaped. My heart twisted in all different directions from seeing her like this. She finally collapsed on the floor dragging me with her.

Avery's wrists came free from my grip and went automatically to wipe her eyes. Blood dripped from her knuckles clearly from the cuts she got when punching things. "You gotta quit with that Goddamn book! It's goin' to your head!" I snapped at her. She didn't look look at me or even give me the smallest sign that she was listening.

I let out a defeated sigh before muttering,"C'mon." I gripped her arm and pulled her up gently. She followed with no fight left in her. She had taken it out on all on the inanimate objects around her.

I led her to the bathroom where she sat on the lavatory which surrounded the sink in a cream color. Kids toothbrushes stood bristles up in lime-stained cups with their favorite character themed toothpaste beside it. Avery scanned the room and her eyes landed on a small mirror behind her. My eyes immediately landed on the hinges sticking out of the side and I pulled it open.

Inside were small white shelves of cough medicines, creams, and bandages. I found a white roll of stretching fabric and some minor cut creme. Avery's cuts weren't that bad so this should do.

She stared right at me as I gently rubbed the cream on her knuckles. She hissed in pain and yanked her arm back. "Keep still," I snarled jerking her hand back towards me. She let out an irritated sigh while watching me wrap the bandage around her palm and across her thumb.

"You gotta take a break from that book," I muttered trying not to look at her. I felt her stare on me,"And not find out what I am?" I immediately stopped rolling the bandage and looked up at her with a stern look,"There ain't no need for it. You already know. You don't have to stop reading it. I'm just saying take a break from it for at least the rest of the night. You hear?"

She looked at me as if she was a puppy and I was the master scolding her. "Alright," she breathed. I finished off her bandage before letting her go. I stayed behind in the bathroom and looked into the mirror. Blood splattered my clothes and face. My skin had turned into a darker shade from all the grime and dirt piling on top. My hair fell in tiny strands looking soaking wet from grease and sweat. I looked horrid, just like always.

||That Night||

I rummaged through all of the books that the family has in their living room. We picked up some from Avery's rampage and put it back where it was before. The light from our lanterns gave the room an orange glow. Avery lay across the couch with a new novel in her hands. I trusted that she wasn't reading the journal behind my back.

I gave up on my search for entertainment and stood up. I looked over at Avery to find her asleep on the couch. Her book was splayed across her chest and marked the page she was on. Her head was lolled to the side facing away from me.

I decided to bring her to her room so I took the book off of her and marked her page. She wore thick, black glasses to read so I took them off and set them next to her book. I slipped my arms behind her knees and her back before picking her up to my chest. She was light in my arms and didn't need much strength to carry.

I took careful steps towards the staircase and closer to where her bedroom should be. When I was in the middle of the stairs, Avery's eyes fluttered open and looked up at me. She slowly closed them as she tightened her grip around my neck.

I opened her bedroom door with a tap of my foot when I reached the top of the stairs. Her bed lay with the sheets pulled back ready to be slept in. I placed her gently on top with arms still around my neck. She watched me place never letting her grip loose. I looked back at her with my heart pounding in my ears.

We stayed this way for a few seconds before I grew some balls and moved closer. I felt her wrist pull me to her lips before I whispered,"Avery." She ignored my comment and kept pulling... and I let her.

Soon, our lips were touching and our eyes were closed. My breathing stopped and I was frozen. Everything seemed still for the moments we stayed there.

I finally pulled away and looked at her for a second. My heart was beating in my ears. Her arms were still draped around my neck She stared at me for a mere moment before I stormed out the room. All I heard before I closed the door was Avery calling my name.

I ran down the stairs breathing heavy. What the hell was I thinking? I was supposed to be protecting her, not falling for her. The more in distracted the greater chance the Governor will find us and take advantage of Avery.

I got to the living room and saw her book lying on the coffee table. There was something not right about it. The cover sleeve seemed to hang off the edge and didn't fit the book. I picked it up and opened it up to find a familiar handwriting on the inside.

It was the journal.

Different emotions raged inside me before I threw the book down and grabbed my crossbow.
---
This chapter is dedicated to @skittlesbun for all the nice comments and votes. I knew you'd probably like this one! ;-)