||Chapter Seventeen||

||Avery's POV||

-Two Days Later-

Daryl stepped in front of me with his crossbow swinging side to side. Tall storage silos stood on the side of us crowded together. I kept my bow up trying to fight urge to point it at him and let go of the string.

I still haven't forgiven him for what he did to Stan. I don't know how many times he's tried to confront me about the subject since I lost count after five. My heart ached every time I thought about it. My only chance to help these people were gone because one guy wanted to be a selfish bastard.

My paranoia had only grown since the news about the Governor wanting to talk. He'd probably just murder us all except me. He'd take me back, experiment on me, use me as a sex doll, and put me out my misery. I only wish my misery would end sooner.

Rick took quiet steps close behind me. Hershel came too, but he stayed in the car making sure nothing went wrong. I was afraid something was going to go south. In the new world everyone had to be on their toes. There's nothing that's impossible and you have to expect everything.

Daryl made a quick turn behind a tall silo and kept his crossbow raised high. I wasn't far from him while Rick lagged behind to catch any straggling company.

We made it to an open area with a dilapidated barn near the tree line. The faint sound of moaning caught my attention making me immediately react by raising my weapon to the source. A male walker with dirty dress clothes picked itself up off the ground and stumbled towards. I slowly exhaled letting the arrow fly.

The body fell to the ground without grace. Daryl let out a frustrated sigh since he was about to pull the trigger on his weapon. I didn't care about his remarks to me anymore. He didn't care about me so why should I do the same for him.

"Andrea said meet up in the barn. Y'all stay out here an' keep an eye out," Rick said to us after catching up. We nodded our heads and watched him pull back the heavy doors.

I waited for a few moments before turning back around to the silos. All was quiet and it made me uncomfortable. I shifted my weight to one foot and stared at the ground.

Daryl then started to move towards the window of the barn. The glass had shattered in most of the wooden squares and small shards poked out around the frame. Daryl crouched to get a good view.

"Damn, he's already in there," Daryl snarled. I rose my eyebrows at him,"The Governor?" He looked over his shoulder and nodded.

I then heard tires crushing the gravel near the road making me jump slightly. In a blink, Daryl had rose his weapon and was on his way to the parking lot where Hershel was at. I followed suit hoping it wasn't threatening.

A tall, tan truck pulled up before the engine died. A few people filed out of the vehicle including Andrea. She looked at us with a confused look as if questioning why we were defending ourselves.

"Your boy's already in there," Daryl snarled adjusting his weapon against his shoulder. The driver, a Latino looking man with buff arms, stared t Daryl before a small smirk appeared on his face.

"What?" Andrea stepped up with a small amount of worry in her voice. Daryl lowered his weapon and stress at her as he shifted his weight to one side. I guess her boy wasn't so perfect after all.

I followed Daryl's lead and waited for someone to say something. When Andrea didn't get an answer, she stormed off to the barn where Rick and the Governor were talking. I glanced between the group. Another man from the other group wrote on a tablet on top of the hood of their truck. He had wire rimmed glasses reminding me of Stan, but he was much younger.