||Chapter Thirty One||

|| Chapter Thirty One||

|| Avery's POV||

Blood stained my hands and my chest heaved back and forth. I gripped my bow tightly that I had found outside of my holding cell along with my arrows which flopped on my back. I felt too tired to even move, but I had to get out of here. One of the Woodbury goons will find the corpse and immediately blame me for it.

My bow dangled on my fingertips threatening to fall. I could barely breath with all the stress pressing its weight on my shoulders. My eyes stayed on the ground as I skimmed the buildings outside of Woodbury. I recognized this passage from when we came to save Glenn and Maggie.

God, I hope their okay. I haven't heard from them since before I was captured. I want to know so badly if the Governor had gotten to them and tortured them to tell them where I was. I want to know how he found out so Daryl and I won't make that mistake again.

Then I thought of Daryl. Did he leave me because we kissed? That seemed like a stupid reason, but I guess I don't know him in a romantic way. He might be on his way or looking for tactic to get in. I don't know. I guess I'm not worth anything anymore since we know that we can't extract a cure from me.

But, Daryl did kill Stan for me to live. He didn't care about a cure or that he ended an innocent man's life. He cared about me. So, I guess there was still some hope that he was coming for me in any way, shape, or form.

I then heard snarling. I never thought I would be so happy to hear a walker. I was ecstatic. I almost wanted to go and hug it because its presence meant I was about to reach the end of the course and be home free. I kept walking closer to the sounds of shuffling feet and faced a six foot fence that we had to climb through last time. I saw the walker's feet shuffle through the crack so I hurried to beat it.

Once it caught sight of me, its limp legs started to pick up its pace. The male walker's yellow, rotted teeth snapped as I plucked an arrow from my sheath. I knocked it and went into pre-draw. I went to draw back the string, but my strength wouldn't let me. I was too weak.

I dropped everything. Even myself.

I fell to my knees and took in shaky breathes. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I sobbed uncontrollably. This was how I was going to die with the last bit of my immunity given to the bastard coming for me. I guess this was how I was meant to die. The thing that couldn't hurt me was going to kill me.

I then looked up at the corpse trying to catch my breath. Tears rolled faster down my cheeks before I stood up and waited for the slow walker to take a chunk off my body. I thought I took my last breath as the walker was just a few feet from me when a black hole appeared on its forehead. It fell limp to the ground revealing that the hole was actually a bolt that was shot through its skull.

I looked up out of breath to see the only person that actually knew where I was with their crossbow aiming at me.

Daryl.

The tears for my death turned into tears of joy. He lowered his crossbow slowly with worry on his face. My feet were slow to move, but soon I got them to full speed and ran to him. Daryl dropped his weapon and took a few steps forward. His arms opened slightly before I jumped into them nearly knocking him over. I buried my head in his shoulder and cried uncontrollably. Daryl breathed heavily in my ear making me clutch him tighter. I felt his fists gather a wad from my shirt and hold it tightly.

We stayed that way for a few moments before Daryl broke away and grabbed his weapon from the ground. He started marching to where I had just emerged with a lethal look on his face. "What are you doing?" I asked slightly out of breath.

"Going kill the bastard,"he murmured. My breath was caught in my throat. He turned back around and kept on. Last time I've delt with him in this mood, he pointed a gun to my head.

"Daryl, I killed him."

He stopped dead in his tracks only a few steps away from the corpse that had just been put down. Daryl slowly turned his head towards me. The tears wanted to start rolling down my face as I bit my lips. He looked so confused and I don't think I could explain to him what happened.

"Avery," he whispered.

And the first tear slipped. My chest heaved for air once again, but it seemed like it couldn't catch it. Daryl stepped closer and brought his thumb to my face. He wiped the salted water off gently as his warm breath brushed across my cheeks.

For a second, I thought I was about to faint, but it was just Daryl leaning in. His lips were soft and warm just like the last time we kissed. And I missed it. I had craved it since he broke away back at my room. It was like my lips were on fire and his were the cold water finally soothing them.

My breath finally caught and my lungs were released as inhaled through my nose. I broke away, just a millimeter, but Daryl brought me right back in.

I needed him so much. I don't stand a chance on my own anymore. Back when I met him at the warehouse, deep down in my gut, I knew that he was going to do something to me. Either good or bad.

But now I'm positive it's both.