||Chapter Twenty Nine||

||Avery's POV||

I watched him. I stared at him. I made sure I knew every move of his so when it comes for the time when I kill him, it would be all the more satisfying. He was the reason why I was here. He is the reason why I'm probably going to die by the end of the week. He's the one that wants to use me. The Governor.

The truck stopped making me hit my head against the hard, metal bar behind me. I saw Martinez grimace slightly at my pain, but I didn't want to think about him. He was another reason why I was still here.

I breathed heavily as the back of my head throbbed. We stopped right when we came through the gate of the entrance. The streets were empty since I guess the citizens had a curfew. The Governor came around the corner of the truck with a grim smile on his face. He had a thick beard on his face with a black eye-patch attached to an elastic string covering his left eye. My heart started to beat faster in my chest as he opened the tailgate and Martinez climbed out.

"Up," he said like I was a pitiful child who needed to be taken care of. I narrowed my eyebrows at him as I pressed my back against the cab of the truck and shoved myself to a standing position. He watched me intensely with one hand leaning on the heavy duty truck.

"You're gonna help us. You're gonna make this place better. You're gonna cure this thing and after you do that we'll let you go in your merry way. Maybe," he smiled as he grabbed my hand, pulled me down from the truck, and untied my gag. I snarled when the fabric came loose from my mouth,"I highly doubt that."

The Governor chuckled as he latched onto my bands and pushed me to one of the building that was pitch black on the inside. "Milton will take good care of you. If he could find out why Michonne had those little biter pets of her's, I'm sure he can find out how to cure this thing," he said twisting my bonds making the nylon pinch my skin.

My heart was pounding hard in my ears as I neared the door to Milton's lab. One of the Governor's goons opened the door as he pushed me inside. There was a small hallway I had to walk through before getting to the lab. It was the same place I was held the last time I was here. I recognized the bed and the small paintings hanging around. There was the small bed in the middle with straps hanging from the sides. Milton sat in his office chair and was writing things down on a legal pad at the foot of the bed.

I took in a deep breath as my lips started to get dry. Milton looked up at me and gave me a small smile. I clenched my teeth wanting to rip everyone here to shreds. My insides churned as the Governor led me to the bed and sat me down. All eyes were on me as I looked around. Milton gazed at me almost with sympathy. I kept my eyes locked on him not wanting to look at anyone else since he's probably the most innocent one here including me.

The silence was eating at me so I decided to speak,"So, what's the plan, assholes?" The Governor smirked slightly and grabbed my ponytail. He yanked it back to make me look at him while I hissed in pain. I swallowed the lump in my throat as I looked at him with hatred in my stare. "You're gonna sit here and be an obedient little girl for Milton. I'm gonna have a guard at the door so you don't slip away like you did last time. I have work to do so you stay here and save humanity," he snarled with a smirk.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk" I mocked,"You and I both know that there's no humanity left. After all the things we both done, I'm surprised the devil hasn't dragged us down to Hell yet. Even the kids in this town probably had to kill just to get to this safe haven of yours. Governor, or whatever your name is, you can't stop it. There's no cure."

He clenched onto my ponytail tighter,"Well, you're gonna die trying."

He let me go and started to walk to the door. I took in a deep breath and said,"Daryl's coming for me and you'll be dead if I am." The Governor turned around with a smirk,"Oh, really? Even after that little episode at that house? Even after him storming out of it boiling mad checking every inch of the fence? Hmh? He ain't comin', sweetie. And you can bet your life on that," he turned back around and pointed to one of his men,"You stay at the door and if anything goes wrong, don't be afraid to shoot her."

||Daryl's POV||

I took in deep, rugged breathes as I watched the gates. I remember standing in this same exact place when I was captured here last time I came. The lights stayed on as the guards walked back and forth on top of their makeshift walls. I grasped my crossbow tighter while my lungs burned. I have to sit here and wait for them to switch shifts with another crew like we did back when Glenn and Maggie were captured.

Well, I wouldn't have to do this if I would've kept my eye on Avery. I let out a heavy sigh as I sat down with my back to the guards. I leaned up against a turned over car and faced the stars. It seemed like counting them was the only thing I could do right now.

|| Avery's POV||

"Now, I'm just going to take some blood samples," Milton sighed as he prepped the syringe he had in his fingertips. I clenched my teeth despite him having the balls to not restrain me. He said that he trusted me enough to not do anything and if I do, there would be a bullet in me. Milton sat in front of me as I sat on the bed with my legs hanging off the side. "So, you're just gonna stick pins and needles in me until you get what you want. Well, we're all gonna be dead by the time that happens," I snarled as I clenched the side of the bed tighter.

Milton looked back at his guard and nodded towards the door. The guard didn't argue for one second and made his way through the exit. Milton looked back at me with a more sympathetic expression,"Look, I'm not going to do that many tests on you. Stan told me it was nearly impossible. He told me about the serum and how it could be used on anyone, but it can't be extracted from the person. I'm just going to tell the Governor that it can't be done and he'll have to listen."

I narrowed my eyebrows at him,"You know that's not gonna work. He told me himself that he's going to kill me if he doesn't get what he wants and even if he does. I'm too much of a threat to him, Milton. I have the whole group at the prison knowing about me and his whereabouts. Look what they did last time they came here. Milton, no matter what happens here, I'm not making it out alive."