||Chapter Fourteen||

||Daryl's POV||

This trip better be worth what I was going through at the moment. I was stuck with Glenn, Maggie, and the skimpy scientist that Avery had dragged along. We stood in the lobby of a local hospital deciding the game plan.

"Okay, the records for the patients should be upstairs, but they might have changed them since the outbreak. Glenn and Maggie, you can check down here while Daryl and I go upstairs. We have our walkie-talkies if you need anything," Stan established the plan. I didn't know how I felt about him being in charge, but I couldn't say different if I wanted to go through with this.

Everyone nodded their heads and went in the opposite directions. I sought out the stairs to the second floor and climbed up before Stan did. I felt paranoid with him right behind me, always there.

"So, you never told us why Avery was immune. I'm guessing you know since you're already cutting her open for a cure," I snorted once we reached the top. Stan let out a sigh and pushed open the door leading into the second floor hallway.

"Well, it's kind of complicated if you really want to hear it. There's a lot of back story," he smirked as he headed for the desk. He swiveled behind the counter and stooped low to the filing cabinets. I heard him mutter Hillards as he flicked the manila folders between his fingers. "Ah! Hillards, Avery," he smirked as he yanked out the file and stood up.

"How come there's back story to a disease?" I asked shifting my weight to one foot. I gave the area another scan before relaxing my tired muscles. "Well, Avery doesn't know it, but I used to be her doctor," he sighed.

I have him a questioning look,"How come? You'd think she'd recognize her own doctor."

"The thing is that we wiped her memory of every visit she had. We had to keep her condition a secret. If it got out, the public would go haywire."

I rose my eyebrows at him. This was getting weird. "What was her condition?" I asked. Stan shrugged his shoulders and came out from behind the desk while sliding his hand across the top of it.

"Oh, nothing she was born with. We just injected her with a serum that could stop the disease if it got out. I mean, she was the perfect subject for us. Her parents were partners of mine working on the serum with me and her mother had just given birth. Well, one day they left Avery behind while they came back to work and POOF! Car crash. It killed them both.'

"Avery then became an orphan. Her grandparents were either dead or didn't claim her parents anymore. Both of them were the only child in the family so she had no one to turn to. I pounced on that opportunity since the serum needed something that it could grow with over the years. Having a child with no reputation or background to call their own was just what we needed.'

"After a few years of keeping her in an orphanage, we finally asked the woman who ran it to bring Avery in for testing. She knew everything about it so she had no questions. We did checkups on her and added more of the serum until finally she was a legal adult. We let her go to college, but she was under close observation."

I rose my eyebrows at him higher after every sentence. This made no sense, but it did at the same time. That's how crazy the situation was.

"C'mon," Stan motioned for me to follow him down the hallway,"I need some scalpels and other things."

I nodded my head before asking the same question as I did awhile ago,"But what makes her immune? What did this serum do?" Stan glanced up at me with a questioning stare.

"It mutated her white blood cells. It's like they're on steroids. Her immune system is ten times stronger than the average person. Have you ever seen Avery cough or at least sneeze?"