||Chapter Ten||

||Chapter Ten||

Gunfire rang all around me. I held my pistol tight in my hand. My bow dug into my back as I pressed myself against the brick wall. Dust and sparks flew everywhere making it harder to see our targets.

Maggie and I peeked around the corner of the alleyway and shot blindly at the enemy. "We can't stay like this forever. I'm running low on ammo and I don't think anyone's any different," I declared while reloading my revolver. Everyone nodded their heads and looked at our leader. He seemed defeated and helpless. If our guide wouldn't of left us, this may have been easier. We're now in hostile territory with no idea on how to get out.

"Y'all go. Me and Avery will lay down some cover fire for you," Daryl said while hitting the clip of his assault rifle.

"You sure?" Rick rose his eyebrows at him. "Yeah. Just go, Rick. We'll meet up at the bus," I nodded. Rick stood up from his crouched position and handed me the M-16 he carried on his back. "Be careful," he whispered before running out of the alley. Glenn, Maggie, and Oscar followed with their weapons held high.

I looked back at Daryl who nodded once giving the signal to start firing. I stepped out of the safety of the alley and held the trigger down for rapid fire, stopping every few seconds. I walked backwards keeping my aim at the flash of guns. I was paranoid about the bullets whipping past my face afraid that they would hit me.

"Avery!" I heard Daryl's raspy voice shout. I turned around abruptly not caring that we were in the middle of a crossfire to see a tall figure standing over me. A sudden force then hit hard against my neck and I all I saw was black.

---

"Avery, I'm sorry. I don't know what to do. James tried to get to your apartment, but you're swarmed with those things," My college friend, Kayla, sniffled. "It's alright. I'll find another way out," I tried to reassure her when a I heard a knock on the door.

"Hold on, Kayla. I gotta go. Just call me when you set up a camp." I hung up the phone before she could respond. I hurried to the door of my small apartment that I lived in. I was hesitant to open the door. That's when I remembered I had a peep hole. I stuck my eye through it to see a police officer in a tan uniform standing by the entrance while he held his hands in front of him.

I opened the door with a flash. The officer stood about a foot taller than me and had dark eyes. "May I help you, officer?" I squeaked in a polite tone. I really didn't know what the law wanted to do with me in this time of peril. "I need you to come with me, Miss Hillards," he answered,"It's quite urgent."

"Umm.... Yes, sir, but can I get a few things first," I nodded towards my living room. "Of course," he smiled gently. I gave him the same expression and jogged to get my phone and wallet. Then, a male scream rang in my ears. I rushed back to my door to see the police officer on the ground with blood covering the area around him. A body kneeled over him tearing at his flesh before shoving it in its mouth.

My eyes widened at the scene before my instincts kicked in to shut the door and activate every lock I had on it.
This was just the beginning of the apocalypse.

---

I woke up to feel a sharp pain on the side of my skull. My back was pressed against a hard cushion. My eyes burned from the light boring on top of them. They shot open before blinking a few times to moisten. It was near dark so why did it feel like I was staring at the sun? Did I sleep here overnight? Did the others forget me?

"Well, hello, Ms. Hillards. It's nice to see your lovely face again." My head turned to the sound of his nasally voice. His wire rimmed glasses made his freckles all that more noticeable. The wrinkles under his eyes had shown that he was slightly older than I was. He sat in a chair next to the bed I lay in with a small smile formed on his face. "Stan," I croaked. My throat was scratchy and my saliva couldn't fix it.