Chapter III: A Memory

From the first time he saw one, Salvador had always wanted to be a knight. But then again, so did every boy in Sapinsville. However, unlike every other boy, he got to see them nearly every month, for his father was the blacksmith of Sapinsville and often provided weapons to Lady Lucretcia delle Sapins' few household knights. At the time, Sapinsville was a newly founded town that sat upon the Correinde River where it joined up with the Little Corriende. From the Little Corriende flowed the bananas and oranges and bubble fruits from the orchards of Count Veregara. Some merchants would sail upstream the Correinde to Sapinsville where they would trade for the produce from Veregara's lands. Salvador would find himself ofttimes watching their ships sail up and down the sparkling Corriende.

Lady Lucretcia's tower house overlooked the rushing river on a hill whilst Sapinsville itself spilled out and crossed the river, connected by a system of ferries owned by the Lady herself. The Corriende's rushing waters a constant sound in the background of Sapinsville. Its cool river-breeze tamed all save for the most blistering days. It was the lifeblood of the Duchy of Rivièrra with dozens of tributaries that filled the plains and hills of Rivièrra. The Corriende spilled out in the Delta of Ouriyas in which the city of Rivièrra, the ancestral seat of the House of Rivera, sat upon.

If Salvador wished, he could go to the port and see the dozens of ships that passed through the Sapinsville Port. He could see the goods they carried, the men aboard, and if he was lucky he could see the sigils of House Rivera and other noble houses as their caravels passed through. Salvador's house stood upon a small hill with a plot of land surrounding it. It was two stories and stood tall and proud. A large house for a family of his size, but it was comfortable. It was home.

Enough dilly-dallying, he thought to himself. I've got to get that colada.

Spurring himself, he ran down to the heart of the town and was hit by the plethora of smells and sounds he was so used to. The fast, rhythmic melodies of Sersalvonian music, the smells of Sersalvonian dishes wading through the air from the open windows of the homes. The colors never managed to fail him, for Sersalvonians loved color. It was the dry season, and so there was yellow, orange, and red everywhere, representing the brutal, merciless sun that battered the people of Sersalvon day and night. At times, the heat was so unbearable that not even the breeze of the Corriende could tame it, and so the people of Sapinsville flocked to the communal baths. Thankfully, today was not one of those days.

Finally, he managed to stumble his way into the tavern, and he was immediately hit by the scent of alcohol and Sersalvonian dishes. The tavern was currently occupied by a small group of five town watchmen in their boiled leather and gambeson armor. They gave him a small nod as he walked by and Salvador waved back, albeit a little shyly. It was no surprise they knew who him, his papi was the town blacksmith after all and his mother was a silver-tongued saleswoman.

"Herald save you!" exclaimed the hostess Lily, by way of greeting. She was a pretty woman in her early thirties, her father was the owner of the tavern.

"And you too," Salvador replied respectfully.

"What can I do for you today, Salvador?" Lily asked kindly.

Salvador smiled. "My papi would like a fresh, cold colada."

Lily snorted. "Your father should get his alcohol himself."

Salvador shrugged. "He was talking to some friends when I came here. I guess he was just busy."

Lily gave him a pointed look but just sighed. "Fine, but tell your papa to unbusy himself next time he wants a colada."

"Sui, senieura," Salvador said.

"Oh! And you know better than to try that colada, don't you, Salvador?"