Chapter XIII Pt. 2: Benedict

By the end of their week, Benedict had committed to memory some basic knowledge about tactics and strategy. It had all blurred together; the days blending together into what felt like one massive slog. Both fast and slow. The entire week he'd withdrawn from everyone, even Charlotte. He attended his morning sessions, his tutoring lessons (even there, the focus had shifted from Amaratius to military history), and meals, but he'd said little. Spoke only when spoken to.

Today was his last night in Navitium before the host left for Varcez. Before war.

His father had largely left him alone again, thank Alarielle. And yet still every time he was in the king's presence he felt himself go on edge.

He sat, hunched over his desk, solving an array of logical problems. Doing these problems cleared his head of all the cluttering thoughts. He didn't need to worry about what would happen tomorrow. He didn't need to worry about war. He didn't need to worry about the whispers in his head. All he needed to think about was this one equation. He was... at peace.

A short-lived peace.

He heard a knocking on his door. He hadn't locked it yet. It wasn't quite late; perhaps the seventh hour of the afternoon? Was it Charlotte? No, she usually just barged in when she pleased.

He felt his stomach tighten. Something felt off...

"Come in," he called tentatively.

The door creaked open and revealed a young lady dressed in elaborate nightrobes with a glittering, laced, aquamarine veil draped over her face. A lady-in-waiting.

The young lady curtsied deeply. "Your Highness," she said, her voice shaking a little.

Benedict rose from his desk and approached her, every step cautious. What was this?

Being of a much lower rank than he but still a noble, the young lady rose to her toes and kissed Benedict on both cheeks as was the custom. She stepped back and closed the door behind her. Benedict heard her take in a deep breath. He racked his brain to remember who she was. When she lifted her veil he immediately recognized her.

"Lady Rhysanna," Benedict said. She was one of Charlotte's ladies-in-waiting. "Um... what are you doing here?" He immediately flushed. "Oh dear, pardon me. Um... did Charlotte send you?"

Rhysanna started. "You remember my name?" She immediately shook her head. "No, Your Highness." Her voice was almost a whisper.

Now Benedict broke into an internal panic. His heart began to beat rapidly and his mind began to search for a way out of the area. Somewhere safe.

But as his mind panicked, his body slowly began to betray him. Rhysanna was definitely a comely lady and her dress seemed specifically tailored to be... seductive.

He needed to get her out fast.

"Well, might I inquire as to... what you came here for? It is, uh, after dinnertime and I don't believe there is a party or anything going on. Not to mention that it's nearly time to..." Benedict trailed off, realizing that he was rambling. He hoped the implication was clear though. It was inappropriate for her to be here.

Rhysanna had a blush of her own. A hint of rose on her tan skin dotted with freckles. Benedict realized then that she was only a year older than him. She opened her mouth but no words came out. She covered her mouth with gloved hands in embarrassment.

"Are you okay, my lady?" he asked.

She turned her head away from him for a moment before facing him once more. "Forgive me, Your Highness. I... I wish to please you tonight."