Chapter V: Aurelianna

Aurelianna stood with her mother, father, and two brothers at the head of a large reception awaiting the Lady Myreia. It had been nearly six months since Aurelianna had last seen her elder sister.

The procession was large, befitting the heir to a duchy. Myreia's husband, Manwell delle Rivera, was the heir to the Duchy of Rivièrra. The procession of carriages, wagons, and horses entered the cul de sac of the first courtyard, inside the inner walls of Fiorá, just outside the walls of the Springwater Keep. A pair of knights and dames took position next to a particularly ornate carriage boasting a figurine of a dolphin. Out stepped Manwell delle Rivera, who turned around to offer his hand to the lady stepping out.

Myeria.

Aurelianna smiled fondly as her elder sister stepped out of the carriage and gathered herself. She was wearing a silk evening gown of ocean green, designed in such a way that it rippled and swayed like the waves of a beach. A short veil of white lace covered the top of her head which bore long, raven-black, wavy hair that tumbled down to the small of her back. The heir to Rivièrra was of average height and not exactly muscled. It was said that he was more of a priest than a warrior. His hair was a shade of sheeny black with blue undertones―one iconic to the Rivera line.

Both Myeria and Manwell curtsied and bowed before Duchess Lilliana. Aurelianna and her brothers curtsied and bowed to them in return. As they rose, Lilliana Florjes smiled at her eldest daughter. "Herald save you, and welcome home, Myeria," the Duchess of Mercenaries said. "And to you as well, Manwell." Her son-in-law nodded in acknowledgment.

"Well," began Aurelianna's father, "do join us in the lounge room. We have much to catch up on."

As they walked inside the Springwater Keep, Aurelianna noticed Myreia flashing her a grin. She promptly returned it as they locked eyes.

The lounge room was expansive, with the main area containing multiple sofas to rest upon and even its own library for one to entertain themselves. Carlos sent some servants to fetch them some sliced fried plantains covered in cheese as the rest of them sat down on the chairs and sofas laid about. Myeria and Manwell had dismissed their retinue to get themselves settled within the Springwater; they were alone.

Aurelianna noticed how Myeria kept her hand clasped with Manwell's. The heir to Rivièrra even shot her a comforting glance before her mother said, "How fares the Duchy of Rivers these days, my lord?" Nothing more than small talk. Duchess Lilliana already knew the answers.

"A few things, here and there, Your Grace," replied Manwell. "There's been a recent increase in corsairs, but this can be attributed to Valyncia. There's a large conflict brewing over there. And they're no threat. How fares Vyroña?"

"Exceptional," Lilliana answered, smiling. "The sugar cane harvest this year was better than usual. We're hoping the rice harvest does the same once the final tally is done."

"And you, Carlos?" Myeria inquired. "Has the Lady Mincias been treating you well?"

"I'm here breathing, aren't I? I'd say that's testament enough." A small bout of chuckles followed Carlos's response. "But truly, all is well," he assured.

Silence followed him for a short while. No one quite knew what to say. Fortunately, the servants came to their rescue, delivering the fried plantains, salted and covered with melted cheese that oozed as they each took their share.

As they ate, Manwell wiped the edges of his mouth before saying, "I must say, I've heard some hearsay coming out of Rhaetia."

Myreia gave her husband a sharp look. "Truly, Manwell, now?"

Manwell ignored her and forged on. "They speak of fire and blood. The razing of the Asilu de'Corasares."

Aurelianna studied her mother's face. She had long since learned to read the face of the Duchess of Flowers and Mercenaries. The few tells that no one else saw. There, a twitch of her lip. So small that you wouldn't notice it unless you were specifically looking for it. Displeasure.