5: Agatha Reiss

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

In the yonder above, the clouds were dabbed with dusty hues. The brisk breeze shifted from side to side, swirling around the washing line while I hastened to unpin the rest from the pile. At a distance, I could hear the echoing bolts from thunder. Soon, the much anticipated rain will arrive, soaking, drenching me, as I dance in it.

It all reminded me of him. The greyness. The mystery. Not knowing when he might show up or when he will leave. He's so... impossible.

It's been a fortnight since the last time we met. I sighed with covet to shake away my fleeting mirages. It was rare for me to have done the laundry during a day like this in the past without dragging it on. But after my visit to the Underground, I've come to appreciate the weather up here much more. The weather I once took for granted is now one of my favourite things about my hometown.

Jeez though, why does everything link back to him? I tell myself it's because of the city's thrilling experience, or because I never truly had a friend before. However, none of these excuses seem convincing enough to satisfy me.

I walked over to a neighbouring tree, situating myself in the shade. Once again I replayed the memories from that day in my head despite warning myself to not. I long to go back but...

"Will I ever see you again?"

"To be fair, I'd prefer it if you don't."

What did he even mean by that?

I wished to learn what he actually insinuated but I also didn't, in fear of getting hurt. He did break my heart after all.

Eventually I gave up on my conclusions and decided to head back home.

━✦❘༻༺❘✦━

Rustle. Rustle.

Rustle. Rustle--

Perhaps it's psithurism?

Rustle. Rustle... Rustle.

Rustle... Rustle....

My breath hitched as I frantically quickened my pace. Needless to say, I was palpitating. Someone was surely following me.

I have to play strategic here; I can't go straight home as this person will just follow me. In that case, my whole family would be ambushed. I can't go to any other houses because then their families would be ambushed. I need to go somewhere where I would be alone but at an advantage. If I hide at the back of the local barn, I could get a peek of who it was, perhaps even grab a few weapons to exchange a couple of blows. Right, I'll go to the barn then.

I stole to the back of the barn, hands ready with a rake. The crunching of the leaves increases, the person clearly increasing their speed. I looked down at the rise and fall of my chest, attempting to calm it but it was of no use, they were already here.

"Who's there!" I shouted at the shadow, wandering closer and closer to me.

The shadow contorted into a slender woman dressed in a navy hooded coat. Beneath the hood and her pricking bangs, her bright eyes glinted ever so slightly, juxtaposing from her blonde trim.

"Excuse me ma'am, do you know where I can find Mr Rogue?"

I frowned at the sight, it was solely a woman. I slowly released the rake from its sharp aim.

"My father? What do you need him for?"

"I've come for confidential business - been asked to do a bit of discussing with your father. Oh, I forgot to introduce myself. I'm a representative for the royal family in Wall Sheena."

"I'm sure you're mistaken. My father doesn't have anything to do with the royal family."

"Can I confirm that your father is Mr Rogue?" she quizzed again with an accent, an accent that felt far too forced, too formal for my liking.

"Yes, but you can't-"

"That isn't for you to decide ma'am."

The woman turned to walk away, heading towards the direction of home. She must've checked nearly every house around here, and by declaring my father's identity, her choices narrowed down even more.

I couldn't bear to see her slip away so easily, especially because she was being so discreet with her actions. There was something fishy about her, I just couldn't put my finger on it.

"Well then could you at least tell me your name? I mean, I deserve to know who my father is talking to."

"Agatha Reiss."

━✦❘༻༺❘✦━

Strange, the Reiss family. For all I know, they came from the Orvud District and are somewhat noble. That's the most I've heard from the newspapers anyways. Why would she come all the way here, to meet some impoverished household? And how is she linked to the royals?

I was pacing around my room, the same few unanswered questions clogging my mind. I observed the trampled mattress, as well as the drenched clothes abandoned on the floor. The rain started to pour after the woman left, and I got caught up with it as well as my laundry from before. The messy room corresponded to my messy mind, leaving me aggravated. I should've known my luck.

Fuck it. I'll go searching for the answers myself.

So there I was, in front of my dad's uninviting door. I picked on the doorknob, obviously it was fastened shut, the woman did say that the discussion was confidential after all. Thus, I had to listen in on the muffled conversation from outside, eavesdropping to be precise, but I was just curious, I didn't intend any harm.

"He said that you knew his brother, Uri, that you defied his orders, and Kenny Ackerman had to replace you instead. To repay, you have to inject this into you. Don't worry, it won't hurt."

Ackerman - like Levi's last name!

My ears twitched with excitement, pressing into the thin ingress, eager to know more.

"No? Then if I do this to you, will you do it? Your wife doesn't have to know."

"What's so wrong with becoming-" her sentence cut off with my father's groan.

Shit!

I continued to listen intently and all I heard was my father's repeated groans. In a fit of pique, I pushed away from the door and picked up all evidence of my presence, including the broken hairpin I used to pick the lock.

Seems as though I wasn't getting answers today.

"Good boy."

I halted for a second.

Did I hear that right? I swore I heard her say 'good boy'.

But I shrugged it off. I reckon I had done too much thinking for the day.

━✦❘༻༺❘✦━

did u catch on? 😉

i actually contemplated on publishing this chap this week
since the previous chap was torture and this was filled with new info
but i guess this author just loves tormenting others, much like isayama!

ok jokes i'm sorry, but i hope you enjoyed it anyway

and thanks to everyone who added my book to your list
and those who consistently leave comments and likes
(psst psst... hot_pocket69 and hazelboba)

until next week!