Chapter 21

Sinuhe just stood there and looked at the door that Dinah had exited through only a moment before, she did have a point. Camila was not going to remember anything if she was sheltered in her room all day.

Sinuhe redirected her gaze to the stairs that led up to where Camila was at the time being. Sinuhe sighed and wiped her hands off on the dish towel before making her way to the steps. She agreed with Dinah, and wanted Camila to remember, so she was going to have to convince Camila to talk with Lauren by herself.

She took the flight of stairs, and paused for a moment outside of Camila's room before gently knocking on the door. Sinuhe listened and softly heard Camila say 'come in'. She took a deep breath and twisted the door knob, taking away the barrier between them. Camila looked up at her mom with a small smile on her face. "Hey mami." She said softly and looked back down at the magazine she was reading. Camila was lying on her stomach in shorts and a T-shirt reading.

"Hey sweetie." Sinuhe responded softly in the same tone as Camila while stepping into the clean room. She walked slowly over to the bed where Camila was reading, and sat on the edge next to her. "I need to talk to you Camila." Sinuhe said delicately and placed a hand on her daughter's back gently.

Camila looked up and shut the magazine, as she sat up on the bed and crossed her legs Indian style facing her mother. Camila studied her mother's expression trying to figure out what was going on, and why she seemed so nervous.

"Mami, what's wrong?" She asked as she looked into the eyes that mirrored her own dark brown ones. Sinuhe didn't say anything, and avoided looking at her daughter. "Mami, whatever it is… you can tell me. I can handle it." Camila was growing nervous as every second went by that her mother didn't say anything.

"It's not really something that I have to tell you, but is more of something that I want you to do for me, and for the people that love you." Camila scrunched her eyebrows together in confusion at what her mother had just said. What did she want her to do so bad that she had trouble telling her?

"Mami, just tell me please, you are starting to scare me." Camila tenderly took her mother's hands in hers, causing Sinuhe to make eye contact with her. "What do you want me to do?" Camila didn't have a clue what her mother wanted her to do, and she was not one that liked surprises that much. Sinuhe was going to have to tell her sooner or later, but preferably sooner rather than later.

"It's about Lauren, Camila." Sinuhe said and Camila quickly drew her hands back from her mothers. Her body was stiff, and it felt almost as if she could not move, and if she did, she was going to break into pieces. Camila was not sure why she felt this way whenever her name was mentioned, but she wished that it would stop.

Lauren had this hold over her, whenever she was mentioned; she would immediately freeze and build up the wall around her so that no one could get in. But, Sinuhe had other plans, and a wall was not going to stop her. "I know that you don't want to hear this, but it is true. You are in love with Lauren." Sinuhe said slowly and firmly. Camila just shook her head no and backed away from her mother. "I am tired of seeing Lauren hurt and seeing you alone. So try to remember, she loves you more than life itself."

"It's too hard, I just can't do it." The hot tears started to run down her face as she spoke those words. Talking about Lauren was not easy, and hearing it straight from her mother scared her because she knew her mom would never lie to her about something like this.

"Look deep sweetie, I know that she is in your heart even if you don't want her to be, she is." Sinuhe was holding back the tears to try and convince Camila that she needed to go and talk to her. Camila just sat there shaking her head back and forth slowly while looking down at the comforter that she was sitting on. Her wall was being brought down by her own mother. She closed her eyes and tried to see Lauren, but she couldn't find any memories that were not from after her accident, that was the only time that she could picture Lauren with her.

"God, why can't I do this?" Camila proclaimed and lay back on the bed angrily. She was tired of fighting everyone about this. Why was it so hard for people to believe her when she said that she didn't know this person? How many times was it going to take for people to stop nagging her about Lauren?

"It'll come back sweetie, just let her talk to you tomorrow." Sinuhe spoke softly so that she did not aggravate Camila. "Do this for me honey, this is the only thing that I have asked of you since the accident, and will be the last thing. I just really need you to do this for me, for your friends, and for Lauren." Camila opened her tear filled eyes and gazed up at her mother. Sinuhe really wanted her to do this.

She spoke with a small shaky voice, letting the wall crumble easily around her feet, "I know that I'm hurting her, I can see it in her eyes." She let tears trickle down her face slowly as her mother squeezed her hands gently trying to comfort her daughter. Sinuhe didn't say anything, but Camila knew by the look in her eyes that Sinuhe was asking for an answer. Camila took in a deep breath before nodding her head slightly. "Okay, I'll do it."

Sinuhe broke out into a huge grin before pulling her daughter up into the sitting position and engulfing her in a huge hug. "Gracias hija!" Sinuhe sang sweetly into her daughter's ear while holding onto her firmly. "This is going to mean so much to everyone Camila, thank you." Camila smiled a little knowing that this was going to make her mother very happy.