Chapter 11

After the several hours of flight, the family of four made it back to Miami safe and sound. Alejandro was getting the bags with Sinuhe, while Sofi and Camila were walking back to the car so that they didn't have to wait as long. They would bring the car back to the baggage claim and they could be on their way home.

The whole family got situated in the car and started the half hour drive back to the Cabello household. Camila listened to her I-pod and watched as the unfamiliar terrain passed her by. By the time that they got back near the house, some things started to look familiar to Camila, like the park that her and Sofi used to play at when they were younger.

Finally, the car pulled into the driveway of the house that Camila grew up in. A smile formed on her lips as she stepped out of the car and looked at her castle from when she was little. She ran up to the front door and opened it revealing everything just as she remembered. She immediately went to the right down the hallway to go up the stairs to where here room was.

She stood at the door and pushed it open. It was just how she left it, there was light purple on the wall and while carpet. Her dresser was covered with jewelry, and her bed still had the dark purple cover on it. She walked over to her bed and fell back onto it smiling and bouncing a little as she did.

She missed her bed. God it felt like forever since she was here. Not realizing that this was because she did not live here anymore. She closed her eyes and took in the scent of the candles that were on her dresser. She looked around her when something caught her eyes. She scrunched her eyebrows together and looked at the mystery object. "What?" She shook her head no. "This isn't right." She held the picture that was on her bedside table. Her hands were shaking as she looked down at the picture that showed ‘the girl’ giving her a piggy back ride. She had her head on the other girl’s head and her arm across her chest, and the girl held her under the legs. And it surprised her even more that she was only in a bikini and her only in her bikini top and shorts.

She threw the picture down on her bed and covered her mouth with a hand and chocked on the tears. No, this couldn't be true. She looked on the other bedside table and saw another picture of her and the mystery girl. This time she was only wearing dark cargo shorts and and a white tank top while she was wearing a booty shorts and black short sleeves shirt. The girl had her arm around her neck and she held the girl around her torso. They were both smiling. No, this wasn't happening.

She sobbed and fell to the floor. Her small body was shaking, they aren't real, they aren't real. She was telling herself that in her head, but every time that she looked up, the pictures were still there.

Later that night

Camila got up from her bed and grabbed the pictures. She had calmed herself down a little after the initial shock of seeing the pictures. She was finally ready to hear what her mother had to say about her and the green eyed girl. She opened her closet door and her mouth dropped. There was only a couple of shirts, and nothing else. She went over to her drawers and opened them too… there was only a couple of items. Where did all the clothes go?

She was confused, but left her room and walked down the steps to the kitchen, but her mother was not there. She turned the corner and went towards the living room where her mom was sitting and reading. She walked into the room slowly and took a deep breathe. She took a step in front of her mother and held the two pictures out for her mother to see. A smile crawled over Sinuhe's lips as she looked at the pictures from when her daughter was so happy.

"I'm ready to listen." Camila forced out in a quiet voice. She was scared of what she was going to hear, but she wanted to know why this girl kept showing up everywhere that she looked. Her mother then looked up at her and patted the seat next to her on the comfortable couch. She pulled her legs up to her chest and hugged them with her arms while facing her mother.

"Are you sure?" Sinuhe asked and placed the bookmark in the book to save her place. Camila nodded and looked at her mother that held the information that she thought she wanted to know. "Alright, what do you want to know?"

"What's her name?" She asked and awaited the answer.

"Her name is Lauren Jauregui. You met her in your freshmen year when you went into high school. You almost instantly became inseparable. You did homework together, you hung out together, and you went to parties together. Then I think it was during senior year that Lauren finally got the guts to ask you out. Your father were against her at first because she is your first love. And at first you father didn’t expect you to be gay."

"Did we ever you know, like fight a lot?" Camila asked trying to piece together their relationship. This was not easy for her but she knew that she had to do this, or she might regret it.

"Not that I ever noticed. You guys had a couple disagreements, but you were right back in her arms by the end of the night." Sinuhe smiled at her daughter again and took the pictures off of the couch between them. She lightly drew her fingers over the glass of the frame and an even larger smile came onto her face.

"Where were we?" Camila interrupted her mother in a quiet voice.

"You guys went to Hawaii. I was hesitant to let you go with just her, but I knew you would be in good hands. Plus, I was pretty sure that you guys were going to end up together anyways." She smiled once again at the pictures in her hands.

"What is she like?" Camila wasn't sure what she wanted to know about her. It seemed that she was an important person in her life, but she just couldn't remember. "What were we like as a couple?"

"Honey, she was the nicest, most polite, beautiful young girl. But as you would say, she was hot." Both Camila and her mother laughed at her use of modern words. "She took care of you when you were sick. She was always there when you were working on a project the night before at 2 am. She would make coffee runs and help you finish. I think she even sneak out her house while she was grounded by her parents one time to buy you a pizza because you’re hungry in a midnight." Camila looked down and looked guilty for not knowing her. But she couldn't say she did when it was a lie. "Camila, that girl loved you more than I even thought possible. It makes me sick just thinking about how she must be feeling right now. The fact that she was driving the car must be killing her."

"What? What car?" Camila was confused.

"That's how you lost your memory sweetie. Lauren and you went to LA together, and after eating dinner on the beach, she was driving you guys back to the hotel and a truck came around the corner and hit her. It wasn't even her fault; the other guy was on your side of the road. But the fact that Lauren is Lauren, she blames herself for anything that happens to you." Her mother confessed as a couple tears fell down her face. "That's why I want you to do something for me Camila."

"What? Anything for you."

"No, not for me. For Lauren. I want you to go and talk to her, or let her come and talk to you." Camila's face dropped to the floor. She wasn't ready to face her. There were still so many questions that have been left unanswered. She couldn't do this now, not when she was having all these mixed emotions.

"Mami, I can't. It's just…" Camila let her voice fade as she gazed down at the floor again, which was much easier to face then her mother. "I feel bad enough that this has happened. But maybe, it was for a reason. Maybe we weren't supposed to be together." Camila stated and looked back at her mom.

"Karla Camila! Don't ever say that!" Her mother was upset now. "That girl meant everything in the world to you and you want to throw it away just because you hit one little bump in the road! A relationship takes work, it not just smooth sailing." Camila could feel the tears of guilt burn the back of her eyes. She wanted to remember, she really did, but she couldn't. And the fact that her mother was yelling at her was not helping the situation.

"Mami… please stop." Camila couldn't take the yelling anymore. There were certain things that she could handle, and her mother yelling at her with disappointment laced in her words was one of them. Tears fell from Camila's eyes as her mother stood up to walk out of the room. Sinuhe turned around before she left and looked back at her crying daughter.

"Stop what Camila, you're the one that is being so damn difficult. You need to suck it up and go talk to her before you lose her entirely. That girl was the best thing that ever happened to you, and you don't even see it. That's just pitiful." With that, Sinuhe exited the room and made her way to the kitchen. She left Camila to think of everything that has happened in the past week. Well, what she could remember.