Chapter 1

Standing in front of the mirror I see a face that I'm more than familiar with.

It's my face.

It's my present face, but looking deeply, I saw the face of a teen with a lot of conflicting emotions.

My promise.

Yeah.

It's important to me and I don't plan on backing up, but...what do I have to do to keep it?

A promise is a compromise, to which you devote your time and effort to fulfill. That's the general concept, but...what is a promise, to me?

Is it a scar etched in my soul? A mark in the heart that changes me as a person? Will I be the same after that change?

Will I be me? Or will I be just a mask trying to be something that I'm not?

Just an act of Pandora's actor trying to be someone on command?

But I promised, to stay true, true to myself.

Then what does that imply? Am I supposed to spew my thoughts? My true feelings?

Can a man strive in this society without the capacity to lie?

Can I survive my true feelings?

"..."

If I were to be honest, just one answer comes to mind.

"I'm way too young for this kind of mentality"

I can become a monster of truth, of logic, not depend on emotions, trying my hardest to not get hurt, but...

Doing so would be lying again, right? Of course, following logic and facts is the closest form of truth—but then again, that would result in lying to myself if I say I'm sure of that, which I promised I wouldn't do.

Why would it be lying to myself?

Because I wouldn't get what I want, and what I want, it's the true.

But that results in something redundant.

So...

"What's it that I chase?"

The teen in the mirror doesn't give me an answer, he just looks confused.

Maybe...

Maybe this is just part of growing up.

...

I read somewhere that adults are just as clueless as kids are, about what they want, what they do...

If I wanted to just put a tag on it, I would call them sheep.

"...But that would be a lie too"

A lie of my own creation, a white lie, just so I could feel special for not being like them.

"..."

...Maybe I'm still not over my chuunobyou phase if I for one still am thinking myself as special, as an exception.

It's a statistical reality is that most of teens my age are thinking the same things I'm, that's the reason why all of us are looking for an identity.

...

I should get going, Komachi said that she wanted me to buy something today.

————

"Onii-chan?! You look paler today than usual! Did something happen? Don't worry! Your little sister is here for you! Kyaaaa! That got me a ton of Komachi point!"