Chapter 9

"I guess I'm alone again"

It was already night by the time imouto-chan and I parted. Such a nice and lovely girl. Truly, she's a gift to the world. I can see that DeadEyes-kun wasn't exaggerating with all his praises, if anything, they came short to describe the real Imouto-chan.

"I'm home~"

She truly does justice to the 'Imouto' archetype of anime! With such thoughts, I arrive at home just to find the usual.

Empty.

"Not that I blame you dad...but it would be nice to receive a 'Welcome back~' every so often"

I saunter around. My house is not a big deal, two floors, about three rooms and an office; two bathrooms, a hall and a kitchen. The kitchen is my objective and while checking the fridge, I see that it's mostly empty, though that's not weird. Considering that I'm the one in charge of buying the groceries. Weeeell~

"I guess dinner is instant ramen again"

With a deep sigh I prepared my dinner with some vegetables and dry meat that were just laying around.

"Itadakimasu!"

This scene is the usual one. Due to difficult work hours, my dad hardly has the time to eat at home, he will probably arrive at about ten or eleven. But by that time I'm already fast asleep. When I was younger, I always did my best to stay awake and say 'Welcome back~' when he arrived, though most of those occasions ended with him finding me sleeping in the hall with drool dripping on the floor.

I also tried cooking...that didn't end well, though the firemen had a good laugh at an eleven year-old trying to cook. With time...I realized that my efforts weren't in vain, my dad appreciated them, but while getting older, I started to understand that I was creating more inconveniences than anything. Though he always says that those are some of his fondest memories.

I tried hard...but really, I could never fill that gap.

You really were amazing, mom.

The plastic cup is empty now, sitting on the table I see little brownish droplets going down the cup and one or two pieces of noodles that went uneaten, it's empty...just like this house.

There's more than one reason as to why I was happy seeing imouto-chan...she was the kind of person that was capable of filling a house with warmth, that made the loneliness go away.

I could see it in the way DeadEyes-kun's eyes softened every time he mentioned her. And having expended a whole afternoon with her...it made this empty house a whole lot bigger.

Putting those thoughts aside, I clean everything and go to my room. From corner to corner there are around five bookcases filled to the brim with light novels and mangas, turning around there are a few consoles and video games. My eyes scan them slowly, I consider what I could do before going to sleep, but decide to go for the last volume of Fullmetal Alchemist that I still hadn't read. I would rather submit myself to torture than being mocked by DeadEyes-kun again. "'You're a fake Otaku' he said 'just a poser'" my hands ball into trembling fists. "I will show him!"

Like this I spend the next few hours just fast-reading. All my previous worries disappeared to the back of my mind as I immersed myself on this little book.

"Hehehe"

A few hours later I'm finally done, my mind is at ease while I inhale deeply. Such a good ending. I will have to give it to DeadEyes-kun, really...not reading this before could be considered a sin. Ryuk is probably hovering over me right now, just ready to write my name on his death note. Please, Shinigami-sama, make sure to write 'and she died of happiness'.