king of the court

-TIMESKIP-

It was now our third year of Junior High. I can't believe it's really been this long.  Shoyo joined the volleyball team, and today was his first official game. of course, I came to cheer for him. though I was the only one there for our school, but it's fine! I've seen Shoyo play before, he's an amazing spiker. even though he's shorter than most boys, he can jump higher then any of them ever could.

I was leaning over on the railing, eagerly waiting for them to arrive. I had come a bit early, so I could get a good view, but it seems everyone else had the same idea. I was looking around, and then I saw the green uniforms.

"Shoyo!!!" I cupped my hands around my mouth and yelled to him. he looked up and waved at me with a huge grin. I smiled to myself. he must be really excited. or nervous. or both. 

after a few moments, I heard very loud cheers. honestly, it kind of hurt my ears. I looked and

"holy shit!" I gasped. I covered my mouth and looked around, thankfully nobody heard me. I saw a team of the tallest middle schoolers I've ever seen. are they even middle schoolers? I saw one guy, he had piercing blue eyes and black hair. I recognize him ! I remember I saw him when studying the other schools. 

"that's kitagawa daiichi" I mumbled to myself. I recognize him, but what was his name? I can't remember. I remember he had some sort of nickname that everybody called him by.

"the.. blueberry? no , that's dumb.. uh.." I mumbled , racking my brain trying to remember this guys name. I looked over, and when they walked by Shoyo looked like he was about to crap himself. I think he did, because he ran off, probably to the bathroom. I looked back over the the unnamed guy. the way he acted, and stood, plus his face, it was kinda scary, it made him look kind of like a king.

"that's it! king of the court, Tobio Kageyama!" I finally remembered. oh man, that whole team is full of giants. I hope Shoyo doesn't have to go up against them.

┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅

I think I jinxed it, because their team was the first team poor Shoyo had to play against. despite his opponent, Shoyo looked like the happiest guy in the world. it was kind of cute. okay, fine. I do kind of have crush on him. but, nobody is ever going to know that! not even him.

the game had been going on for about ten minutes and it wasn't looking good for then. kitagawa was about to take the first set, and Shoyo wasn't looking so good either.

"hey, you guys can do it!!" I shouted. it may be a bit embarrassing, but I couldn't care less. they all looked up to me, and gave me a smile. It is kind of sad, not even any of their parents came to watch them.

┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅

despite my encouraging words, they lost. it looked like Kageyama had said something rude, and they started bickering. they got called back to line up so it stopped before anything could escalate. but, poor Shoyo. he really didn't look good. 

I'm not the best with nice words, but I'll try to cheer him up. I left my spot on the stands to go find him. there was a lot of people, so it took me a while to exit. but when I did, I saw Shoyo. I was about to run up to him, but I saw he was shouting at.. Kageyama!? and he was crying too. I think I came at the end of whatever happened, because Kageyama said something and then walked away. I took this as my cue to run up to him.

"Shoyo, you did great!"

"we lost, though."

"well, you can see this as a chance to get stronger, for high school! I mean, did you see who you were up against? giants! all of them! and I was up on the stands!" I heard a chuckle. I looked over, he was laughing. I smiled. I may not be the best at cheering people up, but I still try my hardest to make them laugh.

"You're right, Y/N. and thanks for coming, to support us. if it weren't for you, we definitely would of lost a lot sooner."

I felt the heat rush up to my cheeks. it's not like I did anything special, all I did was cheer for them. honestly, I almost felt like I was distracting them. I didn't say anything to that, and we just started walking home.

"Shoyo, do you know what high school you're gonna go to?"

"yeah! Karasuno"

"why Karasuno?"

"because that's where the Tiny Giant went!"

"oh"

"what about you?" he asked, looking over to me. I smiled.

"Karasuno"

"huh, why?"

"because you're going, duh!"

┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅

I wasn't lying that day. I really did go to Karasuno. and here we were, me and Shoyo. our first day of high school. Shoyo immediatley started running for the gym.

"hey, wait for me!" I shouted, running  after him.

"I'm gonna get real strong, and beat that king of the court guy!" he told me.

I made it to the gym before him, and oh boy. I so wanted to laugh, but Shoyo might get mad. so I just stood there. there he was, Shoyo's rival. king of the court, Tobio Kageyama. 

he had a volleyball, and it looked like he was about to do a serve. he threw the ball up, but then he was interrupted.

"you're here too!?!" Shoyo quite literally screamed. right next to me. in my ears.

"OW!? MY EARS!"

"NOW YOU'RE HURTING MY EARS!"

"you're both stupid" mister king of the court muttered.

"shut up!" we said in unison.

"anyways, why are you here!?"

"because I can be"

"you couldn't of gone to aoba johsai or something!?!"

"I applied to the best school... but I failed the entrance exam"

that's when I bursted out laughing. I'm sorry, but just- everything when he said that. his face, his voice, everything. I don't know how Shoyo didn't start laughing.

"hey, what the hell are you laughing at!?" he growled. GROWLED, YES. It really sounded like he growled.

"s-sorry sorry" I said trying to stop laughing.

well, this is gonna be one hell of a year.