Chapter 8- year one

Cosmos

The next few months went by in a blur. I kept up with my studies in all my classes and avoided most people when I could. After Harry told me we couldn't be friends, I felt like there wasn't anything I really needed to do with anyone anymore. Harry had obviously told Hermione what had happened between us because we started to talk less and less. Draco would still annoy me from time to time and tell me that it was good I wasn't friends with Gryfinndors but he only really said it to get a word out of me. I had distance myself from everyone including Draco because I couldn't handle being seen as the scariest person at school and thankfully everyone decided they didn't want to bother me either. I always tried to avoid the great hall and often skipped breakfast and dinner because I didn't want everyone staring at me. With all my spare time of not being friends with anyone I spent all my time in the library. I had even spent an entire night in there reading because I didn't want to walk through the hallways and get caught, although I did enjoy being out of bed at night as the castle seemed to be much more calmer than during the day.

One night I was in the library it had reached 10 o'clock and I wasn't in the mood to go to bed but I had also had enough of reading. As I walked out of the library but stomach gave a loud grumble which I was sure to get me caught. I had only realised then that I hadn't eaten in 2 days, so I decided it would be best to find some food. I had no idea where I was going to find food at this hour but I felt I knew what I needed to find. I remember that Sev once told me of the kitchens at Hogwarts and how they were an awful place to visit, on the other hand I knew he probably didn't like them because he's him, so I set out to find them. I had imagined they would be under the great hall somewhere so they would have to be on the bottom floors. I walked through corridors and classrooms trying to find some sort of entrance that would grant me into the kitchen. I had thought I found the way in at one point behind a statue but the hole to go down was deep and I thought it was a secret tunnel but I wasn't to interested to find out. After about an hour of looking I was ready to give up my search and return to bed, but as I rounded a corner I saw Filches cat, Mrs Norris and knew who was coming next. I sprinted. I didn't think it would look good to anyone if I was wandering around the castle late at night with no explanation, I also didn't want to get a detention. I ran through hallways and down stairs trying to put as much distance between me and Filch as possible. I finally stopped to catch my breath I rested my hand upon a painted with had a bowl of fruit. I looked up to realise my hand was resting on a pear and that it was half sunken in, I pushed my hand harder into the painting and it moved aside, revealing a large room with five long tables set up in the way the great hall was set up and hundreds of tiny little bladed creatures.

Elves. With their huge eyes and floppy ears they all stared at me, and just as I thought they were going to throw me out they clapped their hands together and brought me in. One by one they came up with dishes of all sorts, allowing me to try every single one. After not eating for 2 days my stomach was thankful it was getting a big feed now. I sat with the elves and ate and drank for what seemed liked hours. Once I had told them I was full and couldn't eat anymore they reluctantly when on continuing to clean and cook around the rest of the kitchen. I sat and watched them doing all sorts of things and realised who all the cleaners and cooks were of the school. I was kind of annoyed that Sev didn't tell me about this because it would have been the first place I would have visited. A small elf compared to the others was watching me from a distance. He had bright blue eyes like the waters from Greece, with floppy ears that were too big for his head and his pillowcase shirt with a H on the front was covered in stains from bottom to top. I smiled at him and gestured for him to come over to me. He sprinted over to me as if not to keep me waiting.
"Hello." I said. "What's your name?"
"Cosmos, Ma'am. I work in the kitchens. Pardon Cosmos for staring, it's just Cosmos has never met a student before." The little elf squeaked.
"That's okay Cosmos. Would you like to sit and finish off my dessert?" I asked
"Sit...Sit? I don't think Cosmos is allowed to sit, Ma'am." Cosmos cried.
"Of course you can sit, and please call me Nyx, not ma'am, got it?"
"Yes ma'am, I mean Nyx. You are so nice. Cosmos will bring you food all the time now." The little elf bounced up and down. I couldn't help but laugh as he looked like he was enjoying himself way too much.
"Don't worry about bringing me food Cosmos, I'll come down when I can and eat down here. How does that sound?" I asked
"Oh yes please. Cosmos would love that!" I thought the elf was about to pass out so tapped on the seat next to me and the little elf anxiously sat next to me as though he was going to be smithed when his bottom touch the seat. Lucky for him it didn't and he looked vey pleased he was allowed to sit. I sat with Cosmos and talk with him for a while. He told me about him growing up and coming to work at Hogwarts at a very young age. He said his entire family had worked here for centuries and it was the best job a house elf could get. We discussed the terrible things that happen to other house elves and how they are treated but apparently Cosmos didn't want to speak ill of anyone otherwise he would have to punish himself. After a while I started to get tired and asked Cosmos if I could sleep somewhere in the kitchen. 5 minutes later all the house elves had come together to make me a bed on the far wall. I thanked them all and then drifted off into a soundless sleep.