Chapter 14- year two

The heir of Slytherin

The first week of school went by quite quickly and I was excited for it to end as Flint had told Draco and I that our first Quidditch practice would be on the weekend. Both Draco and I were so excited to finally start playing Quidditch as we had been practicing all holidays when we weren't on the beach. However, the mandrake leaf in my mouth was starting to get disgusting and Draco was wondering why I could never eat anything properly, but I didn't have the courage to tell him what I was doing. I continued visiting the kitchens usually for dinner when I didn't see Draco in the evening because he would always drag me along to sit with him and the boys.

Saturday arrived and I sat with Draco and the rest of the Slytherin Quidditch team at breakfast the morning of our first training sessions. Draco's dad had gone out of his way and bought everyone on the team a Nimbus 2001, which I figured was the reason Draco secured his spot as Seeker so easily. We finished our breakfast and headed down to the Quidditch pitch, but got stopped on the way there. I was taking in the weather as it was beautiful blue skies with a little wind which I knew was going to be good flying conditions when Flint stopped all of us and was talking to the Gryffindor Quidditch captain who I later found out was called someone Wood. I saw Harry standing next to Wood who was annoyed that we were meant to be practicing and not them.
"We've got permission from Professor Snape, saying we need to use the pitch today to train our new Seeker and Chaser." Flint gloated at Wood.
"You've got a new Seeker and Chaser?" Asked Wood.
Draco stepped forward pulling me along with him which I didn't really want him to do so I stood behind Flint who blocked me from view.
"Malfoy?" I heard Harry question as though he couldn't believe it.
"Yep, and that's not all that's new this year." Boasted Draco as he showed off everyone's new brooms. I peered over Flints shoulder and saw the whole Gryffindor team gobsmacked at the sight of the new 7 brooms and heard Ron quoting the new brooms Lucius had acquired for us.
"At least nobody had to buy their way into the Gryffindor team." I heard Hermione say. "They got in on pure talent." I turned so nobody could see my face and beamed towards the ground, making a note I would thank Hermione for saying that later.
"Don't you dare talk to me you filthy little Mudblood." Draco spat. I turned instantly to give Draco a slap but before I could, Ron stepped in front of Hermione.
"You'll pay for that Malfoy. Eat slugs!" He flicked his wand towards Draco but it bounced back and hit Ron square in the chest making him fly backwards. Everyone started to laugh and then with Draco at the lead, we headed to the Quidditch pitch as the Gryffindor's dealt with Ron. I pulled Draco to the back of the group just as everyone entered the changing rooms.
"Why did you say that? You're not your father Draco." I told him.
"I know I'm not!" Draco snarled at me. "She had it coming." He finished, and before I could retort back anymore he walked into the changing rooms leaving me behind. Although I was still mad at Draco for treated Hermione like that, I couldn't wipe away my smile as we started practicing. Even though I didn't like Flint that much, he had a great insight to Quidditch and how to be a great Chaser. I listened to him tell me the plays he had made over the summer and the ones the team already used previously and had so much fun running them and making scores. At the end of practice Flint was really impressed by my skills and said he thought I had a chance of becoming a professional player, to which I beamed at him and thanked him for teaching me everything he knew. Draco and I headed back up the the castle laughing with our teammates about our upcoming match.

Monday came quickly after practice and when we arrived at Defence Against the Dark Arts I didn't even remotely or try to listen to Professor Lockhart. After potions, DADA was my next favourite subject but I made sure nobody else knew this as they were definitely likely to take it the wrong way. After finishing all our classes for the day, I was planning on heading to the kitchen for dinner when Crabbe came up to me after potions.
"Uhhh, Nyx." He muttered, "Could I, uh, ask you something?" I was taken aback as I thought it strange for Vincent to ask me something without Draco leading the conversation so I just nodded my head in agreement.
"Umm, err, well, I'm not very good at potions, and Professor Snape said I need to get better, so I was, um, wondering if you could..."
"I'll help you out" I smiled at him. He gave me a great big smile back. "I'll go over a few things at dinner, sounds good?" I asked and he nodded his head. I had never thought that Crabbe would ever ask for help with school work but I was happy he asked me. Draco thought it was seriously alarming that I was helping Crabbe at dinner but was just happy I was there with them and not down in the kitchens. Once we had finished dinner I told Vincent I would help him more on his essay when we got back to the common room, so we shuffled out with the rest of the school when dinner finished. As we walked along the corridors Draco was discussing Quidditch tactics to us, however I wasn't really paying attention. Then as we rounded a corner I saw Harry, Ron and Hermione, standing in the middle of the hallway, looking up at something hanging off the wall, then my eyes glanced up and my stomached dropped to the basement.
"Enemies of the heir... beware." Draco said aloud. "You'll be next, Mudbloods."
I didn't even register what Draco had just said, or the fact the Filch had come and was about the strangle Harry. I couldn't think. I read the message on the wall over and over again, allowing it to process in my mind but my mind decided it didn't want to process the blood smeared across the wall. My head was spinning. I couldn't comprehend what was unfolding in front of my eyes. I finally came back to life when Draco pulled on my robes. I stared around to see Dumbledore had finally come to the scene. I nodded to Draco who turned and walked away but I stood rooted to the spot. It couldn't be possible. I realised Harry was getting interrogated by Sev and the other teachers thinking he was the one who had done this, but I knew for a fact he hadn't. How could it be possible. How could my father be here again, but then another thought dawned on me. I'm the heir of Slytherin too.