Chapter 16

Lauren couldn't be more livid if she tried at that point. Storming up the hotel staircase located outside the ballroom, the green eyed girl along with her co-lead didn't understand why the girls just wouldn't stay put. After everything they've been through, those girls always found some way to do the complete opposite of what they were told.

Forcefully shoving the corridor open that led to balcony the girls were on, Lauren sported a look that spoke for itself. "Outside" was all she said in a low husky voice as she stepped aside for the girls to walk through. Lauren was too heated to look any of the girls in their eyes; especially Camila. After watching the video that was just shown to the department, Lauren felt somewhat embarrassed. Not because they witnessed all her hard work. But she felt as though they were finally able to see the side of her she was trying desperately to hide from them. Lauren wanted the image of herself in high school to stay with them. Not who she has become. It terrified her slightly knowing they saw glimpses of her world. She felt as though the wall she had built for 8 years was starting to crumble.

Making their way out of the hotel area quietly, Aiden headed toward back of the venue knowing it was a bit isolated from running into any of the commanding officers. Knowing full well the team themselves could get in trouble for the girls determination of prying without their security, Aiden wanted to make sure no one would see them before he turned around. "Would one of you like to tell us what you're doing here?" he asked vehemently.

"We just wanted to see you guys accept your awards. We honestly didn't mean any harm coming down here. Our…curiosity just got the best of us" Normani stated as she knew Camila was still heated at Lauren's somewhat deception. "How come you didn't tell us you guys are receiving top honors?"

"Because then you would ask to come" Lauren bluntly answered.

"And what's the big deal if we did?" Dinah asked.

Combing her hair back in frustration, Lauren took in a deep breath before responding. "Listen, this was a night supposed to be for us. Away from any work related activities. One of Caminiti's men-"

"So now we're work related?" the tanned beauty suddenly chimed from behind the group.

Tightening her jaw at the way the statement came out, Lauren looked down as she tried figuring how to rephrase her statement. At the tone of the brunette's voice, Lauren knew the girl was angry but figured it was because of her statement. "Camila"

"What happened to having your friends support you?" Normani asked before Camila was able to say anything she would regret.

"Of course we appreciate having our friends support us. But what if one of Caminiti's men spotted you on the street?" Aiden quickly asked as he noticed how uncomfortable the situation was getting for his co-lead. "During our ceremony we would have a call that the number of people now missing increased to 5. We were only looking out for your safety"

"And we're just saying we would have liked to support you guys okay?" Dinah calmly replied.

"I understand that" Aiden calmly replied. "And I know the four of you have history. But right now this is Lauren's job. She's not a librarian or lawyer. Her job comes with risks. You guys can support her after we close this case. For now, we have all the support she needs"

"Like a certain leggy red head" Camila sternly stated in a quiet voice as her eyes focused solely on the green eyed girl.

Lauren knew Camila was heated. Camila didn't have to say a word and Lauren would still know. The brunette's firm stance spoke for itself. Combining that with the girl's unyielding glare, Lauren knew she needed a moment with Camila alone. Swallowing lightly, Lauren glanced over at Aiden before she looked at the other two girls. "Can you guys give us a minute?" she asked before shifting her glance toward the brunette; noticing how embarrassed yet angry she still seemed to look. "We'll meet you by the front of the hotel in a few"