Chapter 21

A single tear fell from Lauren 's right eye as she drifted off thinking about the notion of having to leave Miami once again. Wiping it quickly with the back of her left hand, the green eyed clenched her jaw to try to hold herself together. Even after everything they've been through, Lauren  knew she had to leave. She had to keep the girls safe. She had to keep Camila safe. That was the price she had to pay for turning her back on the one person that meant to the most to her so many years ago. People were always going to use the closest people to her against her; she couldn't let that happen again. She refused to.

Closing her eyes to try to relish in the feel of being in her old room again, the tender voice that managed to get embedded into her mind resurfaced behind her. "I'd ask you not to go…but we already know how that turned out"

Parting her lips at the statement, Lauren  quickly tightened her jaw before turning around slowly; only to find herself face to face with the reason to why the decision was causing her so much heartbreak. "Camz"

***8 Years Ago***

"Please don't go" Lauren  softly heard from behind her.

Swallowing the sudden lump in her throat, Lauren  froze for a second as she felt the air in the room abruptly disappear. Trying to compose her emotions, the green eyed girl took in a deep breath before continuing to fold her clothes; placing them in the large plum traveler's suitcase that laid on her bed. "I have to" she simply responded.

"Why?" the brunette asked tearfully as she walked closer to Lauren . Kneeling on the corner of the bed when the green eyed girl refused to look her in eyes, Camila continued. "Why right now? Take another flight" she asked trying to figure out why the girl was such in a rush to leave.

"It's not going to get any easier" Lauren  muttered as she turned toward her closet to focus on a few boxes on the top shelf.

Camila could feel her eyes tearing up as she watched the only girl she's ever felt connected to turn away from her. "Why are you doing this? You never even mentioned the possibility to me about graduating early" the tanned beauty asked. "Now I hear, not only did your application for graduation get accepted but you're moving to California? Why am I hearing about this from Normani? Why didn't you just tell me?" Camila continued asking as she watched Lauren  continue to avoid all eye-contact. "Can you look at me?" she finally exclaimed as she waited for the green eyed girl to turn around. "What is going on? The truth Lauren "

This was the moment Lauren  had been waiting for. The moment she had been rehearsing in her head for days. But all thought went out the window the second Camila entered her room. How was she supposed to tell the girl she fell in love with this was merely for school? The thought of just lying to brunette made the heat rise as Lauren  felt a flush of warmth radiate through her ears and cheeks as they began turning red. Clearing the dryness in her throat, Lauren  finally began. "I got accepted to Stanford since last year but I kept declining it since I wanted to finish senior year with you guys" she started as she tried to keep her voice strong. "But I realized I'm just pushing off this amazing opportunity for no reason. I could start college early and get my masters or even PhD when the rest of our class finishes with their undergraduate degree" she stated trying to convince the brunette about her sudden perplexed behavior.

"When did you start caring about finishing earlier?" Camila asked confused.

"I don't" Lauren  answered honestly as she continued placing her clothes in her luggage. "I didn't. I just think maybe then I could start a fellowship at Livermore sooner so my life will finally begin"

"Your life?" Camila angrily stated at the thought of Lauren  thinking her life in Miami wasn't part of her future. "This is your life. Right here. Right now".