Flying

You slept soundly for 3 whole hours.

You were awoken by birdsong around 4 am, but truly you couldn't blame the creature. You would have been too impatient to sleep on your own whether the bird was there or not. You rested in bed, knowing you should get your beauty sleep for the big day, but your mind was far too busy thinking of the past that had brought you to this moment, and the future you might have after tonight.

Eventually you tiptoed out of your bed and to the kitchen, warming a pot of tea just before the whistle blew. You took the pot off of the stove and turned around to get a cup, nearly throwing the porcelain when you found Tohru already offering you one.

"Oh, no, Tohru I'm sorry!" You whispered, eyebrows furrowing in sincerity as you accepted the cup. "I really wasn't trying to wake anyone I ju-"

"You didn't wake me, silly." Tohru eased your worries with a simple hand on your shoulder. "I'm too excited to sleep right now," She smiled, taking the pot from your hand and pouring some of the warm water into a glass for herself. "I know I'll regret it later when I fall asleep just when the party gets going, but I just can't stop thinking about it... The two of you getting married."

She spoke sweetly but you had to wonder if they were pleasant thoughts keeping her awake, or nerves.

Tohru sprinkled tea leaves into both your cups and the two of you walked back into her room. Ayame was fast asleep on the floor and she let out a giggle as she nudged his torso with her foot. He laid there motionless, dead to the world.

"Don't worry about him, I've been talking to him for about an hour and he hasn't heard a word of it- He's such a heavy sleeper."

You chuckled back, sitting across from the pair on the floor. "What have the two of you been talking about?"

"Marriage. I mean, not for us, that came out weird-- N-Not even for me I mean, not for anybody, anyone but you. Well, and Akito. I don't mean to sound like no one else can get married it's just thatsnotwhatIwastalkingabout, OhGodyouregivingmethatlookKyogivesmewhenImrambling--"

In an instant, you understood why the heavy sleeper was roomed with Tohru. You smiled brightly at the girl who kept confusing herself and said simply, "Do you ever think about getting married? You and Kyo?"

Suddenly the girl stopped as though she'd been hit by a brick. Her face grew cherry red and she giggled rubbing the back of her head. "O-oh, uh, I don't know. Kyo's a wonderful person and he makes me so happy. I know if I'd want to marry anyone, it'd be him... But I'm not too sure how he feels about it. I mean it seems totally opposite to what he stands for, a big gathering with all the family and friends, having to get dressed up, I don't know." She shrugged, sipping her tea. "But then again, you are marrying Akito. He seems just as opposed to the concept as a hard head like Kyo."

You skipped over the bit about your fiance, not knowing what to say about it either. "I think you're gonna make a beautiful bride one day, Torhu. And an amazing wife."

Tohru nodded coyly but you could see the relieved smile she tried to hide in her cup.

"In all the years I've known the Sohmas, I never would have expected Akito to be marrying an outsider. The two of you are perfect together, don't get me wrong, but you should have seen the way he treated me when I first arrived. How he reacted when Kyo asked me to be his girlfriend." She raised her eyebrows reflecting on the clearly painful memory.

"Tohru, I am so sorry for how he treated you. You never deserved --" "No, please." She cut you off.

"I understand. If I had to apologise for every hot-headed thing Kyo did, I'd do nothing else... But Akito's not like that anymore. He's changed. Even an outsider like me can see that... You've done nothing but good for this family, (Y/n), and you don't have to apologise for anything. You just have to keep being happy."