Endings and Beginnings

You stepped out of the limo and were quickly ushered into a private room. You thought it was a little silly, the idea of no one being allowed to see you; they'd seen you a thousand times before.

"I didn't see my hubby for 3 days before the wedding!" Hana said, almost proudly, as she applied more blush.

"Three days?" You gawked. "How did you do it? Why did you do it?"

Hana laughed. "Haven't you heard the phrase, 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'? I missed him, sure, but it was worth it when I finally saw him.." She leaned back in her seat and bit her lip, deep in thought. "He turned his head and when he saw me he just burst into tears. And of course that gets me started, and we're both such ugly cryers." She laughed, looking back at you through the mirror.

Ayame entered the room dramatically as usual, "Yes it was quite the display. You two really are suited for each other, but try not to encourage (Y/n) to cry tonight. It would be such a shame to smear that beautiful mascara."

"(Y/n)'s not as emotional as me, Aya, you know that. But it wouldn't matter because she'd look beautiful no matter what; black tears down her cheeks and all."

Ayame lifted you up out of your seat and began to twirl you around in a slow dance. He spoke softly now, not like it was for Hana anymore.

"The mascara is waterproof, darling, in case there are some tears shed, but.. Try not to." He smiled softly. "You  look the most beautiful when you smile."

He hugged you close. Ayame was one of the bravest men you'd ever met, in spite of appearances. He had always been unabashedly himself, pursued his dreams in love and career, and never seemed to let on when he was sad or afraid. It must have happened a few times for him. The day Hana left, every time Yuki rejected him, the countless times he must have been told no in his life. Yet he always stood tall and proud and beautiful, and was never unkind to anyone. Ayame was someone you could learn a lot from, if  he could ever step away from his new girlfriend Mara. You couldn't blame either of them for being stuck together at the hip normally. They really were on the same wave length, and by the way Aya was hugging you, it was clear he was missing his love after only a day apart.

Kureno entered the room.

"You two better get out there. The ceremony is about to begin."

It was a statement that sent shivers up your spine, no matter how calmly he said it. Hana gave you a kiss on your cheek and on their way out, Ayame playfully lectured her for leaving a gloss mark on you.

You laughed nervously as Kureno walked towards you. This was the man that was going to bring you to your future husband, and you knew nothing about him.

"Kureno.. Sir, I..." You looked at him shamefully and then your eyes darted to the floor. "What's your favorite color?"

"What?"

"I mean, just, tell me something about yourself. Something little so I don't feel like a total stranger's giving me away." You laughed through the end of your sentence with him.

Kureno smiled and nodded in that same caring way he had. "Something about me.." he murmured, looking up.  "I broke the curse when I was 16."

You raised your eyebrows in surprise. "But I thought you--"

"Yes, I... Similar to the way you and Akito snapped the curse, I still transform into my zodiac sign." Kureno led you by the hand to sit down on the sofa with him.

"Around the time your family was banished from the Sohma property, Akito was at his weakest. I was young and rebellious and realized I could use that weakness to my advantage. I.. left. I left without telling anyone, and, about a month into being on my own I realized that my curse was broken. I was a normal man like I'd always wanted to be; like every Sohma wants to be at some point.