Rare Bird

Your night was filled with tossing and turning from both you and Akito. Eventually you resolved to just pouring some tea and staying awake around 4 am. You leaned your head on his shoulder as he read aloud to you. Shigure had sent over a chapter of his latest story for your review and of course you shared the saucy details with your boyfriend. You giggled and blushed, trying to disguise your embarrassed smile behind the coffee mug. This particular excerpt was entitled Wet and Wild and took place in a bath tub, sending you personal images of Akito in the bath beneath you.

"What a mutt." Akito scoffed.

You poked his bicep teasingly. "You love it."

Silence lingered between the two of you and you tried to brush off your nerves for the day.

"I heard he hasn't transformed in a while! Even with clumsy Tohru around." You giggled, meaning no disrespect. "That's good right? Good for him?.." Akito set the paper drafts to the side and stared blankly at the floor. "I know Shigure has wanted it forever, maybe the most out of all of them. Soon he'll be able to recreate some of these spicy scenes."

You lifted your head from Akito's shoulder, feeling the distance grow between you. You knew this wasn't what he wanted to talk about, but if he wouldn't say it then you wouldn't either.

"I'm not going." Akito resolved calmly. The man stood and stripped off one robe only to replace it with another.

"Aren't you?" You asked, sounding too much like begging for your taste. "Please, Akito... It's not like you actually have to see them-"

"That's not what it's about and you know it." He said, gritting his teeth before taking a pause and relaxing. "How can I-- How can you pay respect to your parents after what they did?"

"Aki, you don't know the half of what they did!" You said, growing frustrated yourself. "They didn't even give me enough to hate them, alright, I just had to be numb my whole life. Any time I tried to feel, tried to get close to someone, they shut it down. And they were doing it to protect me-"

"They were doing it because they were weak!"

"Yes, weak!" You agreed, finally jumping up to assert your dominance. "Yes they were weak and they were scared and they were selfish, but they were human! Those are human qualities, and it would be ignorant to turn a blind eye to that. They were my parents, and you can say that blood doesn't make you family, but it does connect us..."

Akito refused to meet your eyeline, only slumping against the wall, listening. There you were rambling again, hoping you'd say something that would get through him.

"Akito it's really not about them.. They were my family but they're gone now, and truth be told I feel better for it... It's about my sister, it's about you. You're my family now and you mean the world to me, and if you could only try to see my sister for who she is..." You sighed. "You're different now, both of you. We're all grown up now, but when I see the two of you look at each other, I see all the hate you've harbored like it never went away. Like you're both still mad at each other for keeping me away."

You walked up to Akito and held his face in your hands gently. "That's not going to be a problem anymore. Please say you'll try..?"

Akito let out a long sigh after looking into your eyes, and rested his hands ontop of yours, bringing your palms to his lips to kiss them.

"I'll try."

The three of you joined in Akito's limousine later that morning, dressed all in black. Akito held your hand, practically sitting on your lap he was so close to you, and Hana watched the two of you like a hawk. You gave her a disappointed look and she switched her tune, nodding and trying to smile; trying to give him a chance.