I Remember

The rain poured mercilessly,and Momiji cheered.
"If it keeps up like this, they'll be no school tomorrow! No school means I get to hang out with Tohru all day!!"

"Seriously, who invited this little twerp?!" Kyo yelled, frustration clear. Tohru blushed and waved her hands to try to dismiss her boyfriend's worries.

You chuckled at the pair as Momiji began to whine, but deep down you were concerned. This storm was bad, and what if Akito needed you? You excused yourself from the dinner table and called Hatori, who picked up almost instantly.

"Hey, Hatori. Not sure if you noticed, but it's raining a bit." You joked and heard the amused breath on the other end.

"I did notice. Are you still at Shigure's, or did you get caught in it?"

"Well, no, we're both safe at Shigure's--" you watched a cup fly past your head and heard the two boys yelling. "for now... But do you think we should call a cab? I'd hate to be here if you needed me."

"No, (Y/n). I think you'll be better off if you just stay at Shigure's until the storm passes. You feel comfortable enough there?"

You smiled into the phone and leaned against the wall of the hallway. "As comfortable as can be."

You looked at the scarce photographs hanging against the opposite wall. Everyone in the home looked happy together, despite the fight still occuring in the background, and you were glad to be apart of the energy. Hatori went silent for a while, and you began to wonder if the line had gone dead from the weather.

"Perhaps you should pass the phone to Shigure, (Y/n)." Your brow twitched for a second, and you peeked your head around the corner to see Shigure sipping his tea with an oblivious, almost joyful expression.

"Why?"

"I want to make sure he takes care of you. And Momiji." You hesitated at both his pause and priorities. You walked back into the room and finished with Hatori.

"Hey, Hari, thanks for always looking out for me. Looking out for everyone, ya'know."

"Always." The man spoke, and you could practically hear the smile in his voice.

You handed the phone to Shigure and watched his expression morph to a teasing sneer as you mouthed the word 'Hatori'.

"Ahhh," he said, "had to deliver your sweet dream wishes to y--" Suddenly he stopped, and looked at you kindly. He nodded and listened to the phone.

You wanted to keep watching the one-sided conversation unfold; try to decipher what exactly Hatori was telling Shigure. But you figured it was rude and took your plate to the kitchen instead. You thought back to the Hatori from your childhood, and the words he'd spoken, both eyes on you. "I just don't want you to be hurt again."

You closed your eyes, focusing on the memory, and saw Shigure and Ayame running towards you in the background. A migraine pulsed through you suddenly and you winced, nearly dropping your clean plate in the sink.

"Woah, are you alright??" Tohru asked, sweet voice dripping with concern as she rushed to your aid. "Did you cut yourself?"

You kept your eyes closed and shook your head in denial. "No, I-I'm alright.. just a head ache." You winced again and suddenly Shigure appeared in the kitchen. You heard his voice in the doorway.

"Maybe you should lie down, (Y/n)."

You heard a crash of thunder and lightning and whimpered, feeling as though the lightning was directed right at your brain. You felt dizzy and pictured a storm in your mind. Then you relaxed into Shigure's arms as he lifted and carried you bridal style through the home. Momiji's soft voice called your name, asked if you were going to be okay, but you heard no response from anyone. Instead, you felt yourself sink into the soft matress and blankets of someone's bed, and heard the door slide shut. In your dream, your mother wept and your father apologized. It was stormy that night too. You felt your own teardrops sting the scrapes on your knees, and you shot upright in bed.

You panted, sweating and fearful and looked around the room. Shigure's room. You pulled the blanket off of you and looked down at your legs, half-expecting to see bloody knees. Nothing. Your legs were perfect. It was only the dream that hurt you. You eagerly drank the glass of water left at your bedside and wiped the beads of sweat from your forehead. As you struggled to slow your breathing, your eyes landed on a large black book.

A photo album.

You listened closely and heard the 4 children still up and talking in the living room. I should tell them I'm alright... Am I? You looked from the door to the album, and couldn't help your curiosity. You got up and brought the book back to the bed, fingers still shaky as you opened the first page. Nostalgic photographs: younger Shigure, celebrations, a soccer win that showed all 3 older Sohmas (Shigure, Ayame, and Hatori) holding a trophy proudly. You smiled. Suddenly the door slid open and you slammed the book shut, burying it under the covers.

Shigure stood there with a bottle of aspirin and a curious look on his face. He looked to the table where the book had previously been displayed proudly.
"You looked at it?"

You felt your heartbeat in your throat as you spoke, concerned. "I'm so sorry, I just wanted to see i--.. I don't know what I'm looking for."

You shook your head and Shigure sighed, approaching the bed. He handed you the pill bottle and sat beside you. ".. Hari asked me to put that out.. But now I don't think it's such a good idea."

"What do you mean. Why, Shigure? What's wrong with me?" You felt like crying.

Shigure shook his head quickly, furrowing his brows and embracing you. He transformed into a dog and licked your cheek. "There's nothing wrong with you, (Y/n).. It's something that was done to you."

You didn't know whether the urge to push the dog away or cuddle him was stronger, so you remained embracing him. Something that was done to you.

"Hatori erased my memory, didn't he?" You wept freely now, and Shigure nuzzled you.

"I--" he couldn't find the words. "You know you used to transform me all the time when we were kids. Said you always wanted a puppy."

You pulled back, looking into his black watery eyes. "No, Shigure. I don't know. I can't remember."

You wiped your own tears and huffed, angry at yourself for snapping at the dog. It wasn't his fault. Who's fault was it?

"But you can, (Y/n), you can try." He encouraged. The dog maneuvered under the blanket so that only his head stuck out and you laughed sadly at his preparations. "Look at the photographs. Really look. Try to remember anything."

You opened the book again after swallowing the aspirin dry, and saw Shigure transform back into a human in your peripherals. You flipped past the pictures you'd already seen, and landed on a photograph of you. It was you and Hana, hugging in the middle of the Sohma estate. You struggled to keep your breathing calm and focused on the picture. You remembered nothing.

"Keep going." Shigure pestered, sitting up in the bed, wrapped in the comforter.

You flipped to the next page and saw a photograph of a young Ayame and an even younger Yuki. Behind them in the photo, you recognized Akito and yourself. You were holding him tight and he was smiling like a real child, with no worries. You felt the pang in your mind as you remembered.

"Well you've gotta be quicker than that, slow-poke." You teased. Akito stopped in his tracks, a pitiful scowl forming. "I am not a slow-poke. Take it back!" He urged. You felt a smile creep on your face as you placed a hand on your hip. "Or what?" You watched Akito's frown morph to a smirk. "Or I'll hug you to death." You laughed and said, "Hug me to death?? Not if I hug you first!" You squeezed him tight and felt his breathy laughter against your chest. Akito gave into your hug and you squeezed him one more time for good measure.

"Hey, there's Ayame and Yuki! Want to go play?" Akito's face fell a bit and he kicked a small stone. "Nah, that guy makes fun of me." You pulled something from your pocket as you spoke. "Eh, only because you let him. You gotta stand up for yourself, Akito... But until then, I'll protect you." You offered him the blue lollipop and unwrapped your red one.

You gasped and held your head, tears flowing not from physical pain, but from the emotions that memory brought you. Shigure rubbed your back and whispered your name.

"(Y/n)? (Y/n)?! What happened, are you hurt?"

"Y-yes." You admit and looked at him. "I remember."