The Beginning of Change

"And human will is the strongest force ever created. There are those born to succeed and those who are determined to succeed. The former fall into it, and the latter pursue it all costs. They won't be denied.Nothing daunts them."

The smile refused to leave Manjari face as she began her daily chores. She was going. There was no stopping her. And Amira was going with her! They would now have the well deserved break from everyone especially her ex-husband who was terribly upset with the fact that she was doing well in her workplace.

While getting Amaira ready for school, she made a list of things that she needed to do. After sending off Amaira, she checked the email again to make sure that she had not missed anything. This was her only chance. She could not mess it up.

Manjari made her way to the kitchen to make breakfast for herself. She was surprised to see Suhani in the kitchen. She never woke up this early and Manjari was sure that she was in the kitchen to speak to her. She entered the kitchen and added water to the saucepan to make her cup of tea. She started preparations for idlis side-by-side. She busied herself in work, hardly looking up. She could feel Suhani's eyes burning holes in her but Manjari was in no mood for a confrontation today. She continued with her work. Suddenly Suhani spoke up, "I am not a fool. I know why you are going to America. You want to be away from everyone's eyes to do whatever you want".

Manjari felt the familiar rage building up. She was tired of Suhani's constant attempts to belittle her. She did everything she could to make everyone's life easier. she cooked, cleaned, did the laundry because she genuinely loved her parents, was grateful for a roof over her and Amaira's head and wanted her parents to have no more problem because of her. But this was it. She did not owe Suhani anything. How dare she speak to her like this and belittle her achievements day in and day out. She turned to Suhani and said, "Mind your own business, and stay the hell out of my way".

"Or what?"

Or what? thought Manjari. What could she do? She looked at Suhani who was looking at her smugly, quite aware that there was nothing Manjari could do. Manjari looked at her again and smiled. There was something she could do. She took a deep breath and said, " For starters, you can make your tea and breakfast and lunch for yourself and your husband. Do not forget to wash your clothes and plan your dinner because I am not going to do anything for you anymore". Having said this, Manjari walked out of the kitchen, her heart beating fast. She had her and her parents' breakfast. She made sure that there was none for Suhani and her brother.

It was time that Suhani started doing her own work. She was done. Manjari would not pick after her again.

Suhani was shocked. In her marriage of two years, Manjari had never talked back to her. She had never made breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Never felt the need. And laundry??? Her head begun to hurt, and she was furious. How dare Manjari refuse to do her work? She would just teach her a lesson. She followed Manjari to where her in-laws were having breakfast and asked in a sugary sweet voice, "Manjari didi, where is my and Nihal's breakfast?

"I did not make it", said Manjari in a calm voice. She had known Suhani would come. Hearing this, both her parents looked up. Two could play this game. Looking right into Suhani's eyes, she said, "As you know, I will be gone for a year. You should get into the habit of doing these things yourself. After all you can't expect your aged in-laws to cook for you".

Manjari's mother looked at her and then at Suhani. She must have seen something in Manjari's eyes because she just kept on eating her breakfast . Manjari almost laughed at the shock on Suhani's face. Suhani left fuming. This had backfired. She was now regretting taunting Manjari.

-----------------------------

For Manjari, the next few days just flew by. She bought travel bags for herself and Amaira and few other clothes too. She applied for her's and Amaira's visa. Her's was sponsored by the Fulbright Commission and for Amaira's she had to go herself. She was so excited that she was walking on clouds. She resigned from her work, made plans to meet her friends, shopped for a few souvenirs she planned on taking. She had heard from her friends that two people from her college had gotten scholarships. She was not surprised to know who the other person was. All said and done, he was a bright scholar, she grudgingly accepted. But he was a horrible, horrible person who always went out of his way to get in her space.