The Making Up

"Happy New Year", they shouted the moment she opened the door.

"Happy New year"

"Where is the munchkin?", asked Imran.

"In her room. I will get her. Please sit down."

Manjari went to Amaira's room and brought her outside.

"Amaira, do you remember them?", she gently asked. Amaira nodded her head up and down and to Minakari's surprise went upon to Neel and whispered something in his ears. Neel looked over Amaira at Manjari and said something in Amaira's ears, Manjari's eyebrows shot up to her forehead. What were the two planning, she wondered.

She was pulled out of her thoughts when Imran passed her a bag. Quizzically she looked inside, and her heart warmed at what she saw. The bag had milk, bread, and tomatoes. The two had packed lunch for her and Amaira.

She looked at both and said, "You didn't have to do this."

"It's not much", said Imran. "We knew you would be tired after the long travel. "So, we thought of helping you out", said Neel. And I got to see you, he said to himself openly staring at Manjari. She was dressed in cotton T-hit and pyjamas and to him, she was the sexiest woman on earth!

Manjari thanked them both and excused herself to arrange things in the refrigerator. She would not lie. She was surprised by the thoughtful gesture. When she came back, she was surprised to see Amaira wearing her jacket and pulling on her snow boots.

"Where are you off to missy?", Manjari questioned her.

Amaira looked at Imran who looked at her and said, "Amaira wants to go to the park and meet her friends. So, we are going to the park".

"Are we now?" said Manjari, bending down to Amaira's level? "But my baby has not had any lunch so far".

"Do not worry. We will grab something on our way".

"Yes, Mumma. I promise to be good. Can I go? Please? I haven't seen my friends in a long time"

Manjari knew exactly why Imran was taking Amaira. He was giving her and Neel a chance to talk. She chewed on her lips debating the merit of her and Neel being left alone.

"Ok", she said.

"Yay!" said Imran and Amaira in unison and made their way out of the doors.

Manjari pulled Imran to a side and warned him. "Watch her like a hawk. Anything happens to her, I will kill you."

Imran looked visibly scared and promised to keep his eyes constantly on Amaira.

With a quick wave and hug, Amaira went off with Imran. Manjari shut the door and came inside and only one word came to her mind: awkward.

Neel was sitting on one end of the couch and she chose to stand near her kitchen door. She started biting her nails, something she did when she was extremely nervous.

"You can come and sit here, you know. After all this is your house", said Neel breaking the silence.

Manjari raised her head to look at him and shook her head.

The room was so silent that you could have heard a pin drop. Manjari was sure that Neel could hear her heartbeat. She tried to calm her racing pulse but up to no avail.

Neel turned to look at her and said, "We need to talk."

"I am not sure I want to", said Manjari. "I do not want to fight". She feared disturbing the delicate balance of things.

"Give me a chance to explain," he said softly.

Manjari frowned as she studied him. "I find it hard to say no to you", she said as she shuffled to sit across him.