The Lunch

Manjari paced her bedroom, her mind racing with a thousand questions. She had already served Samar his breakfast, but she was unable to even eat a bite. Her stomach was in knots. Why had Samar accepted the invite despite her refusing it? What was going on in his mind? Did he suspect anything? She had been so careful.... Her nervousness about the upcoming lunch made her angrier at Neel...he never listened to her. She had told him to not message her, so he called her. Granted, she could have refused the call but why did he call in the first place? And now this lunch.... she was sure that she would not be able to survive the afternoon. If she could only speak to him...warn him and Imran to not try anything else...

She eyed her phone and was about to dial his number when Amaira slowly opened her eyes. She smiled at Manjari and Manjiri's heart melted. She had missed her daughter so much. She climbed back into the bed with her and cuddled her again. They spent the next half an hour or so talking to each other, swapping stories. And this is the way Samar found them when he walked in. He smiled to himself. Manjari's devotion to her daughter was legendary. Her life revolved around her and she would never do anything that would harm Amaira. Maybe he was overreacting- maybe nothing was going on between the two of them. Manjari had never been interested in any relationship after her divorce. He remembered the countless proposal that had come and Manjari's reaction to all of them. Her family had gone on to even hint that she could marry someone of her own choice. But she had stood her ground and refused to even entertain the thought.

Of both his sisters, Manjari was the more 'homely'. Well read and cultured, she was an amazing cook too. Slightly conservative in her choice of clothes, she was touted as someone who would be a 'perfect wife'. She never dated, never opposed their parents, was the perfect sister. No one had thought that she would be the one to get divorced and in such an acrimonious manner. After her divorce, she simply retreated into her shell and would come out of it only for her daughter.

But here, away from everyone, to him, she seemed more carefree. He had noticed Neel's eyes on his sister yesterday. He was sure that the man was interested in her but was Manjari interested too?

He cleared his throat to get the attention of the two.

Manjari sat up immediately and looked at him.

"This lunch...what time is it?"

"Around 12."

"And what are we taking to their house?"

Manjari scratched her neck and said, "what about a bottle of wine? Everyone takes that here...."

"Do we have a wine bottle we can take....?"

"No..." said Manjari. "I do not drink, and I am not friends with people who drink". She had said that last part knowingly. It was a bit of a white lie, but she wished to give Samar any reason to ask her uncomfortable questions. She spoke again, "there is a wine shop at Boston Pot Road. I can get one from there."

As expected, Samar told her that there was no need for her to go and he would go and get one himself. She simply shrugged her shoulder and busied herself with helping Amaira get ready. She chose a yellow frock for her and coordinated her dress with hers. She wanted to look good but did not want to raise suspicion. After getting Amaira ready, she helped her with her breakfast and settled her in front of the laptop to watch Frozen (for the thousandth time!). She cleaned the house and then took a leisurely shower and even washed her hair. She got ready and waited for Samar to come back from the wine shop. She had not managed to speak to Neel, and she wanted to warn him. She looked at Amaira who was busy watching Frozen and even Samar was not here. She quickly took out her phone and entered her password- a new thing for her. Her phone never had passwords before this. She dialed Neel's number and heard the bell go. But he did not pick his phone. She tried again. Still no answer. She rang up Imran. Even he did not take her call. She stomped her foot in frustration. Should she risk going to the house and warning them? What if Samar came back? What would she say to him? She was still thinking about making a mad dash for it when she Samar come back.