The Start of the Journey

"Not I, nor anyone else can travel that road for you.
You must travel it by yourself.
It is not far. It is within reach.
Perhaps you have been on it since you were born, and did not know.
Perhaps it is everywhere - on water and land."
― Walt Whitman,

By the time Manjari reached home, all her bravado had fled. With no one around to bolster her courage, she was falling into hells of hopelessness again. She knew that she would have to tell her parents about what the embassy had said and the resultant change in the travel plans of Amaira. She opened the front doors and entered her parents' house. Everyone was in the living room. She stood still, bracing herself for the drama that was to ensue. Her brother, Nihaal, was the first one to notice her.

"Hey, hi. We have been waiting for you. Did you collect Amaira's passport?", he asked.

"Yes", she said in a quiet voice.

Her brother looked at her face and asked, "what is the matter? Why do you look so worried?"

Manjari took a deep breath. Better to get over it as soon as possible. She looked at everyone and said, "The embassy hasn't stamped Amaira's passport. Yet. They want to meet her father. I have written them an email explaining the situation. I am waiting for their answer. ".

"That could take ages. That means you are not going". No prizes for guessing. That was Suhani. Manjari could see and feel the glee on her face and in her voice.

She took a seat in the corner and said, "I am going. My passport is stamped. Amaira could come to me later. Plus, it would give me time to settle down and find decent accommodation and look into some schools".

"But what if she doesn't get a visa? Will you be able to leave her for a year?" That was Suhani again. She was going to make it as difficult for her as possible. But before Manjari could open her mouth, she heard her brother say, "Stop it Suhani. Can't you see she is already so tense about the situation? It is not easy for her."
He was feeling guilty about his earlier behaviour. When he had mentioned in his office that he sister was going to America on a Fulbright, he had been surprised to see his colleagues talking of how prestigious it was and how brave it was of her to take this step. His best friend had praise him for supporting his sister and not being a traditional brother.
He continued, " And I agree with her. She should go. And you do not need to worry about Amaira. She has her grandparents and me to take care of her".

Nihaal turned to Manjari and said, "you start packing. And do not worry about Amaira. If she gets her visa, she will come to you. "Suhani looked at her brother with tears in her eyes. Acts of such generosity and kindness towards her had become rare. She tried to get rid of the lump that was stuck in her throat and said, "My teacher-in-charge will be travelling to America. She has agreed to travel with Amaira."

"There will be no need", said Nihaal. "If the need arises, one of us will travel with her". Manjari looked at her parents. They had not said a word. Her mother nodded her head in assent. That was it. The final hurdle closed.

She picked up her bag and folder and went to her room. Amaira was sleeping after coming back from school. She looked at her and her heart squeezed at the thought of leaving her behind. She knew that in the long run, it would be beneficial for both, but she had never spent a day apart from Amaira. She hoped that Amaira would get her visa because she knew that she would come back if she did not. She sat on the bed running her fingers through her hair, trying to ease some of her tension. At that moment, her father walked in and sat across her. He looked at her for a really long time and said matter of factly, "Do not worry. Amaira will be fine". Manjari just nodded her head. Her father was a man of few words. She knew he was telling her that he wanted her to go.

Manjari spent the entire weekend worrying about Amaira's visa. She spent all her time with her. She took her to the park, for dinner, for movies. Amaira was in her own world. She had an incredibly special place in the heart of her grandparents and her mamu. She was not a big fan of Suhani who was always brusque with her. On Monday, Manjari went to Fulbright House to attend her Orientation. It was a whole day affair and she met their people who were also travelling under the same fellowship. She exchanged her number with a few of them and promised to be in touch. All of them were travelling on different dates depending on the start date of their University. Manjari was the last one to travel but she was not complaining. It gave her more time to sort out the visa issue. It was almost Wednesday evening when she got an email from the consulate. With great trepidation, she opened her email. It simply said that Amaira should come with her grandfather to the embassy for an interview and passport stamping. Manjari squeezed her eyes shut in gratitude and felt the last of her worries melt.