Chapter Thirteen: The Aftermath of the Duel

Author's note

In the original storyline Benedict first visits the Granville studio instead of attending the Trowbridge ball, and the night before Daphne's wedding he infamously hooks up with Lucy and Madame Delacroix. I decided to divert from this plot: Benedict was at the Trowbridge ball dancing with Franny (much to our delight) and he definitely will not be sleeping around the night before the wedding. The reason for this is because I want Franny to be the first who gets introduced to painting nights at the studio. You'll soon see how the events unfold. And I would like to thank you again for all the reads, votes, and comments. It's wonderful to get feedback from you and I am flattered that you enjoy Benedict and Franny's story. Also special thanks to Kayla who took the time to proofread the chapter! ✨💖

Lady Holmes

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

Benedict was born second. It meant that when their father died only at the age of thirty-nine, Anthony, the first-born, assumed the role of the head of the family. All the duties and responsibilities fell on him: managing the financial matters of the family, guarding their sisters' dowries, and having to sire an heir to preserve the Bridgerton bloodline. Anthony was still very young to do so, having only just turned eighteen, and even though their father had taught him everything he needed to know, he was barely a man when he took over. But he did, according to his best abilities, and he continued to take family matters seriously. Being the second-born meant that Benedict never had to prepare for such a scenario: while he received an equal amount of love and attention from their father, he always had a little bit more freedom. It was overlooked if he did not do his calculations, rode a horse, or learnt about social customs as well as Anthony. And he liked it that way. Nevertheless, he always wondered whether he could carry the weight his brother did and came to the conclusion that he was lucky that he never had to. He loved his family immensely, he would walk through fire for each one of his siblings, and his mother, but he always lacked something Anthony instinctively seemed to possess. Anthony commanded respect with one severe glare and was father to their younger siblings when it was needed. Benedict, on the other hand, was always more easy-going, did not take life as seriously as his brother did, nor was his purpose laid down for him. And that was fine with him, having the freedom to explore what he wanted to do in life.

So, when his brother demanded him in an imperative tone to be his second while preparing their grandfather's old pistol, he froze to the spot

So, when his brother demanded him in an imperative tone to be his second while preparing their grandfather's old pistol, he froze to the spot. Having the titles, estates, duties passed to him made him break out in cold sweat. As Anthony contemplated the possibilities of himself or Hastings dying methodically, Benedict could not utter a word. He loved his brother deeply, for as long as he could remember, he was always by his side. Bickering and teasing, challenging him to fencing and riding matches, laughing if he fell, but offering his hand immediately. Anthony was his very best friend who encouraged him to do better, listened deeply when he needed him to, and introduced him to the world. The thought of losing him was almost impossible to bare. However, at that very moment, all these dreaded scenarios came very close to reality. Benedict wanted to protest, to find another way, to work out another solution, but he understood that this was how matters were settled between gentlemen. If Anthony had not demanded satisfaction, all their sisters would bear the consequences, the very Bridgerton name would be tarnished, their father's legacy destroyed. Benedict knew very well that Anthony was ready to sacrifice his life to prevent that from happening.