Chapter Twenty: Running Into Some Help

Knowing that she had less than 24 hours to discover one of the most well-kept secrets, lest her family's reputation be destroyed beyond repair, Franny was frantic. Her mind was racing with thousands of ideas, which was not at all an unusual state for her, but this time the sense of urgency coupled with the looming catastrophe fuelled panic in her. Not to mention that the mere thought of being betrothed to Nigel Berbrooke made her break out in cold sweat. When she was in dismay, and under considerable time pressure, there was one thing to do: keep moving.

Franny put on one of Lucy's bonnets to provide some cover for her; on a normal day she categorically refused to wear any, but this time the situation required drastic measures. Then she slipped out of the Granville House using the back door, before anyone, especially Everly, could take notice. It would have been advisable to have at least Annabeth accompany her, but she did not want to be slowed down. Although her agile leaps could not keep up with her thoughts, a breeze of fresh air and some exercise always helped her brain work better. Several times Franny heard it remarked how she never minced and walked delicately as all respectful ladies did, but she never paid any heed to it. After all, if one was to reach her destination, there was no use in not doing it in any other way than with the most efficiency and the least time.

She gathered and synthesised all the information about Lady Whistledown out there. Eloise had given her a good start; it was beyond clear that she because there was no question about the gender, was well-connected, well-off and with considerable time on her hands. Servants, contrary to Eloise's theory, lacked the time needed for writing, not to mention that if they were to raise criticism, it would have been much harsher and less marriage-oriented. A tradesperson was a logical guess, the modiste, for example, would have been a sensible culprit with all the ladies thus the gossip concentrated in her shop, but if Madame Delacroix had the connections and the money to start the Papers, she wouldn't have had to hide behind a fake French accent.

Alas, Franny's most important lead was herself, however self-important that may have sounded. Because only a handful of people were aware of her nickname, therefore it was not a negligible coincidence that she was called Franny in the latest issue. People in the art studio knew, of course, but once again, if they were to criticise the ton, they would deal less with matters of love, marriage and fashion, and more with social injustice, wars, and economic questions. Not to mention they would convey their message with less delicacy and in a more straightforward manner, so to say. Lucy, despite her knack and love for gossip, couldn't operate a business under her family's nose, not that she ever hid her opinion under the bushel. Henry and Lord Wetherby were men, and significantly less conflictual than Lady Whistledown. That left... the Bridgertons. Alas, it would have been the scandal of the century if one of the well-liked, perfectly handsome and beautiful Bridgertons was hiding behind the pseudonym. Lady Bridgerton certainly knew about everyone's business in town, but she was up to her ears with playing matchmaker to her rather big brood, and she certainly had her hands full with Eloise and Hyacinth. And then there was, of course, Eloise, intent on and obsessed with revealing the identity of the rumourmonger, which could have provided her with a flawless cover, but no, it was unlikely that she would invest so much energy in this façade; she was just unapologetically curious. Hyacinth, however brilliant and opinionated she was, was still in leading strings.

Think Franny, think – she ordered herself and grunted out loud, making a few heads turn towards her, which she ignored completely. Franny doubled the speed of her strides and continued her aimless but determined stroll. There was another lead to investigate: who was privy to Marina's secret? Prudence and Philippa, with the wits of a six years old put together, were out of the question. Despite her horrible sense of style, Lady Featherington wasn't simple-minded. Indeed, Franny was convinced she was very well aware of Marina's condition and played an active part in trying to cover it up: why else would Marina dance with Lord Rutledge? Albeit, the Featheringtons were constant subjects to the sharp criticism of Lady Whistledown which ruled them out.