Chapter Twenty-Five: A Thousand Yellow Daisies

✦ Gilmore Girls fans know what's coming. Enjoy, you all deserve it :) ✦

Waking up to her aunt barging into her room and shaking her up in a way that was far from gentle wasn't exactly how Franny imagined her ideal morning.

"Why do you torment me, Aunt? The sun is not even up," Franny murmured, but just before she could bury her face in a pillow, it was snatched from her.

"Early bird gets the worm, dearest," Lucy answered with the inexplicable energy that some people, definitely not Franny, possessed in the morning.

"Splendid, then take Lord Tewksbury and leave me alone."

"Hmm, which one of your suitors is supposed to be Lord Tewksbury? I hope he has blue eyes; I have always been partial to them."

Franny raised an eyebrow under the coverage of her bedsheet and decided not to go along with the teasing.

"If you get ready within half an hour, you'll have the chance to catch the sunrise. And judging by the state of your half-finished paintings, you are in grave need of some inspiration."

"You know what, Auntie, that idea doesn't sound entirely unbecoming."

"I wish I could take credit for it. Now chop-chop, Annabeth is waiting for you. Your supplies have already been prepared."

Before Franny could make any further inquiries, Lucy slipped out of the room and the smiley face of Annabeth appeared.

Half an hour later when Franny overdosed on coffee, had fought and lost a battle about why she would need to make herself presentable for painting, Lucy has guided her to the backdoor.

"Now Frances, I want you to promise me one thing," she lectured in a tone that only a mother could use, "Do not do anything I would do. And don't do anything Henry wouldn't do."

A confused grimace spread on Franny's face, "Could you be more ambiguous?"

"Hurry up, he's waiting for you."

Franny could not inquire why her uncle would choose to travel in an unmarked carriage or why she would need to use the backdoor as she was shoved out of the house. There was nothing left to do other than to go along with the plan with the least resistance.

"Good morning," a deep voice greeted her, and Benedict's face lit up as his eyes fell on her.

"Benedict," Franny squeaked and was so shocked by the sight of him that she stumbled right into his arms.

"It's good to know that I can still sweep you off your feet with my ravishing handsomeness," he bragged while grinning from ear to ear.

Franny frowned and was just about to shoot back with an insult when Benedict's lips landed on hers, engaging her in a kiss that sent goosebumps all over her skin. Benedict took a few minutes to indulge in a tantalising dance, slowly demanding access and exploring with thorough precision, not leaving a stone unturned.

"Hmm, I did miss a bit of privacy," he murmured in a low tone and knocked two times, so the carriage took off.

"Are you kidnapping me?" Franny inquired, while she eased into his embrace.

"Yes and no."

"Are you making this up as we go along?"

"No, I have the whole day figured out. Kidnapping entails that your closest relatives have no idea about your whereabouts, but I have arranged this with your aunt and uncle."