Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Moment of Truth

"Well done, you truly lived up to my expectations. Let us hope that the Queen will share my sentiments," Lady Danbury applauded Franny while examining her painting. The sight of an impressed Lady D was enough to convince Franny that her work was up to par.

"Thank you, Lady Danbury," she nodded gratefully, "How shall we proceed?"

"Bring your picture and your Bridgerton tomorrow afternoon," the elder lady shifted her eyes away from the painting, only to see Franny's forehead creasing into a scowl.

Franny knew that "your Bridgerton" denoted Benedict, even if a great number of Bridgertons were growing close to her heart. She regarded Hyacinth and Eloise as her noisy but brilliant sisters, while her bickering with Colin offered an equal amount of fun and annoyance and much to her surprise, even Anthony seemed to abandon his disapproving attitude of her. Was this how it felt to be part of a big, loving family?

Lady Danbury interrupted Franny's wool-gathering, "Hmpf girl, you do not seem to be enthusiastic about the idea of having your betrothed by your side."

"As much as I cherish Benedict's company, I don't see what purpose his presence would serve."

Lady Danbury let out a small, impatient sigh, "If you bring Mr. Bridgerton along, the Queen will believe that you are there to ask for a special marriage licence."

The answer only added to Franny's confusion who felt a prickle of panic rising in her, "But I am not."

Lady Danbury's eyes narrowed, and she did not miss her chance to pull Franny's leg, "Are you certain?"

Franny missed the devilish twinkle in the elder lady's eyes as she tilted her head heavenwards and let out an exasperated grunt. She loved Benedict from the bottom of her heart in an almost painful way. So far, she has avoided forming close attachments with anyone who had the chance to walk out on her, but Benedict has worn her resistance down until she could no longer withstand his patient, sweet assault. He made himself an inseparable part of her that could only be torn from her together with part of her soul. She has never imagined that having a weak spot would feel so undeniably and contradictory empowering. But she had to adjust to the thought of getting married. She has never imagined herself walking down the aisle, despite the societal pressure. Therefore, she needed all the time she could get even if she and Benedict had a hard time keeping their lips and hands off each other. Not that Franny was intent on waiting until the wedding... indeed if their fate was soon to be sealed, there was little point in waiting, wasn't there? Franny blushed, and she willed her mind to get back to the room.

A knowing smile played on Lady Danbury's lips, but she decided to take mercy on the girl, "The hard part is getting her majesty's attention engaged. If she heard that you are asking for an audience together with Mr. Bridgerton, she will be inclined to believe that a pending marriage is afoot. She might or might not be vexed that it is not the case, but what matters is that once you are inside, you will get your chance to present the picture."

Franny gasped in disbelief, "But Lady Danbury, you told me you'll secure an audience with the Queen."

Lady Danbury pointed her cane at Franny, in level with her nose, "Indeed I did, but I did not specify how."

Franny opened her mouth to retort, but Lady Danbury had said what she wanted and set out to take her leave. She said her goodbyes to Lucy and called for her carriage. Franny followed her, sulking, and just before she could disappear into her carriage, she spoke out:

"What if I hadn't got engaged?"

Lady Danbury shot one of her characteristic looks, a sly smile combined with a raised eyebrow, "Then you would have needed to uncover Lady Whistledown's identity. Nevertheless, in your case, getting engaged was surely the more difficult task to accomplish. I will see you tomorrow."