Chapter Seventeen

Rayne's Pov

I never did like to be awakened in the early morning. With a groan I glare over at the mass of white fluff in an orange jumpsuit. His nose twitches, beady black eyes blinking at me soullessly. How he can pull off that look in the way he does astounds me. 

"Breakfast."

"Ugh, fine." I swing my legs over the bed and stand up. As I shoo him away out of the room I shut the door and turn to go and get dressed. However I smack into the dresser by accident and things fell out of seemingly nowhere and onto the floor. 

I kneel down and pick them up. Most of them are papers and documents but a few are pictures; pictures of Vein. I think that this is Vein's biosheet but it doesn't make sense that it was shoved behind the dresser like Law was trying to keep it a secret. Shuffling to the documents now I look down at the pages, scanning over them. My brows furrow though, these looked like letters written by my father. 

        Hunter is turning into quite the promising recruit. He's hardworking and willing to do whatever it takes to get to the top. There's just one concern I have; he's been around here for a while and Rayne is getting attached more than I would like. They're actually out in the courtyard right now; he's brought her another book from his last mission and he's teaching her to read. For right now it's harmless but what happens if he loses control and hurts her? Especially with all of the the tests we're running with him now.

I look at the next letter, dread washing over me. What was my father talking about? There's no way that Vein was there when I was little, I would've remembered him. 

                I have to do it, Vein will have to be relocted to a protected cell. Not only has Doflamingo caught on to the fact that we have Vein but Hawkeye as well. He's furious and demanding that we give his son back lest he come in and take him back himself. I can't risk Rayne's or my wife's security, he will have to be moved... tonight. It could be an issue though, he's become incredibly attached to my daughter and vice versa; so much so that Rayne will cry when he walks out of the room. It's concerning, I don't know what to do when we move him away; Rayne will hate me for sure but for her safety I'll endure.

I drop the pages on the floor and clap a hand to my mouth. Memories race through my head, one's I'd forgotten. These letters weren't lies; Vein was, for all extent and purpose, the older brother I never had. How could I have forgotten all about this? Why would my father keep this from me? It makes no sense and it scares me to think that there was truly a part of my life that I didn't remember. 

Bepo knocks on the door and I quickly throw some better clothes on. After I come to the door he puts a hand on my shoulder to steady me just in case and we hurry out of the room. "Rayne, are you okay? You smell distressed."

"I'm fine Bepo, I'm just missing Law." It's been about three weeks since Law had left and I was missing him terribly. I never realized how much of an impact Law had around this place. With him gone it was as though the sub lost a lot of its spark. 

"Rayne! Good-morning! Have some juice!" Claire yells as she places a large glass of orange juice in front of me.

I look down at it for a moment before bringing it up to my nose. I wouldn't put it past Claire to get her glass and mine mixed up. She and her brother drank alcohol like it was water. I still can't figure out how they're not constantly drunk. The juice doesn't have the weird tang that alcohol gives it though so it seems safe to drink. 

Claire gives me a look, "Oh come on, I've gotten better!"

"I know but I'm just checking, we're almost at the end of the pregnancy and I'm not taking any chances." I take a sip from the glass and lick my lips. From there the rest of the dishes are set on the table and breakfast begins.