Chapter Thirteen

Rayne's Pov

The mood is somber at best. That's the only way I can describe it. Everyone is dressed in black, have been since the day Oz died. Two days ago we were recovered enough from the initial shock and held his funeral. I think I managed to cry out half of my body weight in tears. As it is right now we're getting closer and closer to Zo with each passing day. 

"Rayne, it's not good to just sit there in black and bemoan your very existence." Sam sighs as she comes into the room. 

I'm resting right now in the library. My feet are propped up on the coffee table in front of me while I'm slouched over in the seat, hand over my swelling stomach. It was strange now that I could see a bulge. I figured that at five months along I'd be bigger. Law told me not to worry though since not all symptoms of pregnancy are so obvious and that sometimes women just didn't show as much.

Come to think of it, my own mother wasn't very bulbous when she was pregnant with me. I can still remember her showing me pictures of her when she was pregnant with me all those years ago. She had the tiniest little baby bump but other than that she was pretty flat stomached. I guess it's just not in our genes to look like fat, pregnant women when we have a baby on the way. 

"It doesn't matter, right? I'm mourning, leave me alone." I drop my head back once again and close my eyes. 

"It's not good for the child if the mother is distressed."

"I'm pretty calm right now and since I can't drink my pain away I'll prefer to sit in silence and brood- something you're ruining for me by the way."

Sam sighs in annoyance, "Fine, rot away in here. I'm done being your babysitter." She exits the room and I'm left alone again. 

I rub my stomach and sigh, "I wish you could've had your grand-uncle's cooking, he made the best biscuits in the world."

"If you consider the function of the umbilical cord you could technically say that it has." Shachi says as he comes into the room next. 

I make a face at that suggestion. It was really... gross to think about actually but at the same time it did make me feel a lot better. Shachi must've noticed that as well because he comes over and sits down beside me. He tosses an arm over my shoulder and brings me into his side, "You know... you aren't the only one that misses him, it is okay to actually tell someone about what you're feeling, that's not a crime."

"I just don't want to, it hurts Shach."

"Then don't talk about it now but eventually just stop shuttig yourself off, it doesn't do anyone any good. We're worried about you two ya know?"

"Two?" I ask confused. What exactly was he talking about?

Shachi hesitantly puts a hand on my stomach, "Yeah you and the little dude. How could you forget? I mean you're only carrying him around with you everywhere."

"Oh yeah? What makes you so sure that Law and I are having a boy? How do you know it won't be a girl?"

Shachi smiles now at my words. He knows he's making me feel better. "Psh, with all of the mood-swings and violent tendencies you've been displaying lately it's impossible to not think you're having a boy. Hell, it's like the extra testosterone going through your body is making you stronger than usual."

I smack him on the arm, hard. "Ow! See this is what I'm talking about you she-beast!"

"Oh shut up. You asked for that one and you know it."

Shachi and I dissolve into small chuckles at this point and he's right I feel so much better. It's strange how he can do that without actually talking head on about the situation. Ruffling my hair Shachi gets up and offers me a hand. I take it and he helps me to my feet. Despite me still being very mobile the crew still wants to do everything for me.