Chapter Three

Rayne

"Wow! This place is beautiful!" I gasped at the wide open, white sand beaches. 

Law snorted, placing a hand on my lower back to lead me out of the submarine. We had landed on Gyra late last night. It was decided that since it took about a week to settle the Log Pose that we would stay here and enjoy the tourist island that Gyra was.

To say Law was grumpy today was an understatement. In fact I woke up this morning to death threats being made. Not to me of course but the rest of the crew wasn't so lucky, especially the twins. They always managed to get on his bad side, especially with their consumption of alcohol. Those two always loved to push buttons and see how far they could take it before they got in trouble. As it was right now the two were trying to entice me into going liquor shopping with them, like always. 

"C'mon Rayne come booze shopping with us at least!" Claire all but begged me as she tugged on my arm.

I shook my head, "No thanks, I love you two but I'd rather not. You two always have a way of getting me to ingest alcohol and that would be really bad for the baby."

"Awe come on, please!"

"No."

Cyrus came over and tossed an arm over my shoulders, "Give it up Claire, she's not going with us. We just have to accept that fact."

"Never!"

"I got this," He grabbed his twin up by her overall straps pulling her down the street with him toward the nearest liquor store.  

I watched the two of them go shaking my head, those two would never change. Going over to Law I took his hand in mine and smiled in an attempt to lessen his bad mood. I'm really not sure what has put him in such a bad mood but I hope it doesn't last long.

Law tightened his grip on my hand, keeping us close together. It's like he's on high alert. Finally I got tired of all of the prickly feelings rolling off of him and pulled him off into an alleyway away from the others. Once I'm sure we're alone I turned back to him and glared, "What the hell is going on with you?" I demanded.

"It's nothing."

"Law you're lying; it's something. What's going on?" I tugged on his arm to make him look at me. 

Law stared right in my eyes saying nothing, it was obvious that he was unhappy but now that he'd gone silent it was obvious that his problem went deeper than I thought. Perhaps I pushed him just a little too far. However in the end Law reached into his pocket and then shoved a piece of paper into my hands. 

"Look."

I opened it up to see that iconic picture of Law and I kissing once again. However this time his face was cut out and it looked like the drawing of a knife was put to my neck causing me to bleed. I turned the picture over but saw nothing else, "What the hell is this?"

"It was placed on the nightstand when I woke up this morning. I've interrogated the entire crew and none of them have seen it before." Law's face was dark, the brim of his hat shadowing his eyes.

"Does that mean someone snuck onto the submarine last night and put it in there while we were sleeping?" The thought horrified me.

"That's the only thing I can think of that makes sense. The question is why and what message do they want to send..."

I sat down on an old crate, "I... that's... okay I'm freaked out. Just the thought of someone coming onto our ship while we're asleep... that unnerves me. Oh god." I groaned and put my face down in my hands. That was unnerving and it made me feel on edge.